Interesting results?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Came across this while surfing, was suprised at the reported results.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Somehow a bit surprising......

Never really liked the A700 ( okay, it's really stylish and might have some slight advantages diving cold waters), and thought from the first moment on I was working and testing the G260 that it is the best 2nd of SP since 10 - 15 years at least ( apart from the Ds which were not produced anymore after 2004 I think).

Don't know how the tests were conducted.

Diving both models I don't believe that most divers could feel the difference between a well adjusted A700 and a well adjusted G260, but the G260 seems to me the stronger and more reliable 2nd at least for Pros.:)

You have to take any of these results with a grain of salt. I don't see the IP setting listed. Agree with axxel. The majority of recreational divers would not be able to tell the difference between them. Most would not be able to tell the difference between two properly tuned new regs of any mfg regardless of price. This is ad copy to sell regs. Nothing more.

the casing for the g260 is larger right? larger diaphragm = lower wob isn't really surprising

There's more to it than that, the venturi assist has a big effect on WOB results in a breathing simulator. Since I'm not a breathing simulator, I don't really care which one does better in that setting. Weren't the numbers about same anyways?

One thing about the larger volume case, though, is that, if all other things were equal, the increased volume would mean slower moving air in the case, and therefore less venturi "push". I personally prefer this quite a bit.

To me the most remarkable numbers on that bit of ad copy were the prices. Over $1000 for a MK25/A700? I paid $86 for a MK10/D300 on ebay. No wonder the dive shop culture is so filled with hype and BS, how else could you convince poor suckers (ooops, I meant to say OW students....) to spend that kind of money of such a simple piece of gear.

There's more to it than that, the venturi assist has a big effect on WOB results in a breathing simulator. Since I'm not a breathing simulator, I don't really care which one does better in that setting. Weren't the numbers about same anyways?

One thing about the larger volume case, though, is that, if all other things were equal, the increased volume would mean slower moving air in the case, and therefore less venturi "push". I personally prefer this quite a bit.

To me the most remarkable numbers on that bit of ad copy were the prices. Over $1000 for a MK25/A700? I paid $86 for a MK10/D300 on ebay. No wonder the dive shop culture is so filled with hype and BS, how else could you convince poor suckers (ooops, I meant to say OW students....) to spend that kind of money of such a simple piece of gear.

Agreed, new scuba gear prices seem a bit excessive, especially given that in the case of scuba regulators, very little meaningful improvement in performance or technology has occurred in decades. Not to pick on Zeagle, but the good 'ol Ranger is listing for $ 1000 as well, and it hasn't really changed since at least my circa 2001 version, which I have in my 'reserves' fleet.

With respect to the OP, the test results do seem a bit weird, might e-mail the publisher to see if an error was made ? Or perhaps the testers obtained a defective or poorly tuned model ? Or perhaps it's the real deal, which makes it an interesting result!

Agreed, new scuba gear prices seem a bit excessive, especially given that in the case of scuba regulators, very little meaningful improvement in performance or technology has occurred in decades. Not to pick on Zeagle, but the good 'ol Ranger is listing for $ 1000 as well, and it hasn't really changed since at least my circa 2001 version, which I have in my 'reserves' fleet.

With respect to the OP, the test results do seem a bit weird, might e-mail the publisher to see if an error was made ? Or perhaps the testers obtained a defective or poorly tuned model ? Or perhaps it's the real deal, which makes it an interesting result!

Ahhh the 'good-old-days' when you could get a HOG cold-water D1 + classic second + hose for <$200

Holding out great hopes for Chris and Deep 6 :D:D:D

I'm surprised SP didn't contact them. I agree with the experts above in that there are no doubt variables we are unaware of i.e. tuning. I agree that it's more than likely that no diver could tell the difference assuming equal tune. I was just surprised that the flag ship offering didn't test perfect. Re the the larger case/diaphragm the Mikron is tiny and tests perfect, according to them, so I don't think it's necessarily an unsurprising "result". Personally I'm not buying those results. FWIW I don't hold any publication as being gospel, just posted as thought might be interesting to others and hoping some of the usual suspects might be able to shed some light. Cheers.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 06:22 PM ----------

I would hope that they test stringently allowing for possible defects or errors in tuning before they publish test results which many will take as gospel. I'll email them and make some enquiries.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 06:25 PM ----------

You have to take any of these results with a grain of salt. I don't see the IP setting listed. Agree with axxel. The majority of recreational divers would not be able to tell the difference between them. Most would not be able to tell the difference between two properly tuned new regs of any mfg regardless of price. This is ad copy to sell regs. Nothing more.

Agree Jim. That being the case, I wonder why they are trying to "sell" the G260 over the A700.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 06:30 PM ----------

Somehow a bit surprising......

Never really liked the A700 ( okay, it's really stylish and might have some slight advantages diving cold waters), and thought from the first moment on I was working and testing the G260 that it is the best 2nd of SP since 10 - 15 years at least ( apart from the Ds which were not produced anymore after 2004 I think).

Don't know how the tests were conducted.

Diving both models I don't believe that most divers could feel the difference between a well adjusted A700 and a well adjusted G260, but the G260 seems to me the stronger and more reliable 2nd at least for Pros.:)

I've said it before, I think the G260 is a better second stage than my Apeks XTX second stages, which didn't put a smile on my face. Upside I got the G260s for a song. Of late my Apeks have been gathering dust as find myself almost always reaching for the SPs.

I have to wonder whether Scubalab is in the business of objectively testing scuba gear or in the business of selling scuba magazines (and their contained advertising). I suspect it is the latter.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/roger-roy-99839110

I have no doubt that selling mags is their number one priority it still seems strange though that they would give two of the top offerings from the same sponsor, I mean manufacturer, different results. Something seems off to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom