Interesting legal question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My girlfriend is attempting to purchase books for college, but the campus bookstore (at a community college, run by college faculty and staff, it is a division of the campus Faculty Student Association) is refusing to allow students access to the book list.

They are insisting that students purchase their books at the campus bookstore. They will not allow students to browse the book store and write down ISBN numbers - and indeed many books are being kept "in the back" so students cannot see the ISBN numbers.

The way I see it, there is no possible way this is legal. If nothing else, the school and bookstore are government institutions and cannot keep such information confidential.

I fully plan on stopping in and having a few words with the bookstore (and other campus offices if need be) but I'm having trouble finding any "ammo" on the internet. I've seen a few vague references to lawsuits for such practices, but nothing overly specific and nothing overly damning.

Does anyone know if this is, in fact, illegal? Any sources with which I can arm myself? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

DeputyDan:
I think it is clearly legal.

Ethical - probably not
You think it's legal for a government-run community college to force students to buy all textbooks from the campus bookstore? There's no way.

Is it legal - no way to really tell. Professors who must get published always punished their students into buying their books.

Is it unethical - definitely.

Is there a way around the process - Oh Yeah! Get several people to pool their resources. One person buy the books at the book store, shares the information with the classmates. The avwerage cost differential fopr the group is shared with the person who purchased the initial set of books. In the end the average cost for the individuals who pooled their resources would be the same. Sneeky but it can be done. We use to do something similar with certain business case studies from a certain business school.

It just prepares them for how life really works.

jonnythan:
My girlfriend is attempting to purchase books for college, but the campus bookstore (at a community college, run by college faculty and staff, it is a division of the campus Faculty Student Association) is refusing to allow students access to the book list.

They are insisting that students purchase their books at the campus bookstore. They will not allow students to browse the book store and write down ISBN numbers - and indeed many books are being kept "in the back" so students cannot see the ISBN numbers.

The way I see it, there is no possible way this is legal. If nothing else, the school and bookstore are government institutions and cannot keep such information confidential.

I fully plan on stopping in and having a few words with the bookstore (and other campus offices if need be) but I'm having trouble finding any "ammo" on the internet. I've seen a few vague references to lawsuits for such practices, but nothing overly specific and nothing overly damning.

Does anyone know if this is, in fact, illegal? Any sources with which I can arm myself? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Have your girlfriend call you from her cell phone and you write the ISBN Numbers. Governments are the most corrupt organizations on the planet. Why does this shock you? If it was private practice the DOJ would be in there claiming monopolistic practices. What can you do? Play the game and hope you exit with a few pieces to spare.

Organize an independent student used book cooperative. Begin with fliers posted in public spaces. See if the student newspaper is interested, or will accept ads. It may also be a management front, though.
Students at most schools sell their used books to other students. Faculty often use the same books from semester to semester, so students who had the courses in previous semesters can usually tell other students what books are used, and may even want to sell theirs.
It sounds like there is no independent student organization. I'd start there. This school sounds more like a high school than a college. Apathetic students intimidated by authority are easily exploited. Students have to take the initiative, and advance their own interests. Fight back. As Joe Hill said just before the state executed him for unionizing mine workers: "Don't mourn me, boys. Organize!"

jonnythan:

so... don't the professors issue syllabuses? get the syllabus and buy the books wherever

jonnythan:

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the students don't know what books they need for a course until they buy some course package? They just need the titles, not the ISBN, then they can borrow the books from the library or buy them used or new someplace cheaper, right?

At the very least you just need one person to buy the books for the course and then others can browse them. Or you could buy them and then return them a few days later. You are allowed to return the books within a reasonable time period, right?

jonnythan:

Thanks.

It is probably legal, since they can do in their store whatever they want.
That is not the worse thing they can attempt, at one of the FSU campus instead of doing that, they just keep the list AND the books until just a couple of days before the begining of the term. By doing that the student doesn't have enough time to order on line at a reasonable price without xtra charges for shipping. They claim it is the faculty's fault for not giving them the info on time. I doubt it.

Suggestions? 2 things come to mind:
1- go and ask for the books you need, take your sweet time to get the credit card out of your wallet, while either you or your girlfriend writes down the numbers. Once you have your data, notify the attendant that you changed your mind, no apologies needed.

2- Approach each instructor, you may be lucky and get the info from them individualy.

I would also send a couple of e-mail to your representatives, make sure you send them with copies to the dean and a few others in the administration of the school.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom