interesting experience in New Caledonia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was lucky enough to get to do a bit of diving in new Caledonia recently.
Over there it seems the dive culture is a bit different than elsewhere in the pacific.
First thing I noticed was that all tanks are set up with DIN rather than Yoke valves.
The next thing I realised was that the CMAS system seemed to be a lot different from Padi
Lots more dives needed before even getting a basic qualification and a leaning towards becoming totally independent of outside help rather than the interdependent padi system.
I have to admit as a casual observer I was really impressed with the CMAS system

CMAS 1* is recognised below OW level
CMAS 2* is recognised above AOW level
CMAS 3* is some kind of DM-extended range thing, without O2 decompression (which extended range asks for?)

There's no need for "much more dives before being certified", there's 4 + 4 at PADI, and less than 10 at CMAS. However, you usually can't step from 1* to 2* straight away, there's sometimes a minimum amount of dives to be done before you can do it, same between 2 and 3.

The DIN thing is because New Caledonia is French, where DIN is the reference. It's not related to CMAS :wink:

I'm curious as what you mean with "towards becoming totally independent of outside help rather than the interdependent padi system". Padi teaches you to plan a dive with a buddy at the same level as you, CMAS 1* teaches you "Don't worry, the 3* diver will take care of you", in most CMAS-parts, a 1* diver is not allowed to dive with another 1* diver without a 3* or more as supervisor. Do you mind expanding a bit?

Cheers

The DIN thing is because New Caledonia is French, where DIN is the reference.

The cynic in me wants to ask the OP whether the shop was doing a brisk business in DIN to Yoke adaptors. In which case it might be more about getting more tourist dollars, pounds, yen, yuan, etc.

I havent regretted going down the CMAS route for a second. Also makes things easier for me diving in French Protectorates like New Caledonia and F.P - to me its diving without frivolous specialties and a lot less marketing than PADI. Again, depends on the instructor but I found one I believe to be a good one and yes the French system and way of diving is different but CMAS is figured towards this.

Carl ive found both DIN and Yoke available almost everywhere this side of the world - have not been to New Caledonia though.

The cynic in me wants to ask the OP whether the shop was doing a brisk business in DIN to Yoke adaptors. In which case it might be more about getting more tourist dollars, pounds, yen, yuan, etc.
A DIN to yoke adapter won't help much when the tanks are setup as DIN. Perhaps you meant that the other way around. This is one of the reasons I opted for DIN. I carry my adapter with me in the event that I need to rent/borrow a yoke tank.

All the new tanks I've seen for sale lately have convertible valves, so I imagine that it won't be long before the need for my DIN to yoke adapter is rare.

Nope-I dived with two dive op's both of which had screw in DIN to yoke adaptors for the bottles. in the toolbox so it was a pretty fast swap over and no charge. Being DIN though they often ran 300 rather than 200psi so I had to double check.
The DIN thing was just an observation.
The CMAS comment was that it was quite clear you couldn't go straight through and dive with a mate after 4 open water dives
But the whole training process seemed more comprehensive and indepth than pad.
The aim seems to be to be an independent diver once at level 2.
I dived with a few freshly minted level 2's and another thing I noticed was that 20m was seen as deep and going to 40m or beyond was only for Cmas level 3 divers.

cmas is here for 1* same as ow from padi. So dive without instructor with a buddy of at least your level. On my 3* card is 'divemaster'.
I know, some cmas parts say that a 1* must dive with dm or higher.

Here cmas is arranged around clubs and instructors are volunteers. So that means most times slow courses. The 1* needs 6 times pool and 5 dives outside. If there is no instructor available, then the diver can dive with a 3* to do a fundive if the first dive was with instructor. And if an instructor says not good enough, then the lesson is not signed off. In clubs, a beginner will have different instructors before getting his 1* card.
What is better? volunteers or commercial courses? All depends on the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom