Interesting Approach to Risk Management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scraps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This afternoon I was passed by a guy on a motorcycle:

Helmet? No. Hair was free in the breeze.

Boots? No. Gym shoes.

Chaps or other PPE for legs? No. Cargo shorts.

Jacket or other PPE for torso and arms? No. T-shirt only.

COVID-19 face mask? Check!

I wondered two things:

What sort of risk analysis about probabilities, outcomes, and mitigation options had to occur for a brain to decide that—of all the bad things that can happen while riding a motorcycle—only the risk of catching the virus while riding the bike (it’s not like he put it on only when he stopped to go into a store)—warranted mitigation measures?

What sort of dive buddy would he be: what gear would he bring, what would he leave home, what precautions would he take, which ones would he ignore?

Well...at some level he/she cares about others so can't be all bad. :) As far as the rest, who knows. Personally I wear a helmet, but I try not to judge. I also try not to judge divers by their kit. I would rather see them in the water. All IMHO, YMMV. (Wish I was diving...:daydream:)

Covid-19 mask--Nah! Probably just wanted to keep the bugs and dust out of his nose and mouth. Or maybe he wanted to have a mask ready in case he needed an unplanned ride to the hospital. You can't be too careful!

Personally I wear a helmet, but I try not to judge. I also try not to judge divers by their kit. I would rather see them in the water. All IMHO, YMMV. (Wish I was diving...:daydream:)

I have no problem with adults deciding they don’t want to wear motorcycle helmets.

I just thought it strange that he wouldn’t protect himself from the obvious hazards of motorcycle riding while wearing a face mask when the chances of catching the virus while riding are asymptotic to zero.

It seemed like such an odd choice. If you tell a thousand motorcycle riders they only get to wear one piece of protective gear and ask what it would be, he might be the only one who says “face mask” (though two or three might say “condom” and twenty or thirty might say “knife” or “gun”).

He could be going to as place that required masks to get in.

ATGATT! Or I just don’t ride...and I don’t wave to Darwin candidates:wink:

This afternoon I was passed by a guy on a motorcycle:

Helmet? No. Hair was free in the breeze.

Boots? No. Gym shoes.

Chaps or other PPE for legs? No. Cargo shorts.

Jacket or other PPE for torso and arms? No. T-shirt only.

COVID-19 face mask? Check!

I wondered two things:

What sort of risk analysis about probabilities, outcomes, and mitigation options had to occur for a brain to decide that—of all the bad things that can happen while riding a motorcycle—only the risk of catching the virus while riding the bike (it’s not like he put it on only when he stopped to go into a store)—warranted mitigation measures?

What sort of dive buddy would he be: what gear would he bring, what would he leave home, what precautions would he take, which ones would he ignore?

He was just trying to keep the bugs out of his teeth .

Please tell us it was also under his nose. THAT would seal the deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom