Interesting (and novel) thing for me while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We were diving off Roatan near Cocoview last Thursday morning. Nice relaxed dive at 70', not far from the Aggressor. Suddenly we all heard what we thought was a cruise-ship over us. A deep roar and cracking sound for about 20 seconds. I looked up wondering what made the noise. Assumed that it was a boat of some kind. Nothing visible. We finished the dive and the captain told us that it was an earthquake. First for me in over 3,000 dives!

Wow! There’s a video online of divers in the Philippines uw while a big earthquake hit.

Since it appears to have been off shore, did it cause surges or bug waves?

69A75C8B-0BE7-4165-8907-998FAC0858B8.png

On Roatan, I’ve seen broken windows and plastic pipes break.

One earthquake resulted in some quite noticeable underwater damage.

The placed 140’ wreck Prince Albert, on the CoCoView shore dive, finally developed that big crack amidships after 30 years submerged.

At a very popular dive site, Anka’s Place, the entire vertical face sheaved off, leaving a stark-white substrata exposed. Here on Scuba Board, the Internet Diving Experts proclaimed ‘the end of diving on Roatan’. I am not exaggerating.

Anka’s Place has long since regrown to be a happy verdant wall. But the magic was observable only for the first year. Instantly, the stripped face was covered with Banded Shrimp, the red & white guys. Then every day, other critters found this as their new niche environment,.

The regrowth was started by exploitative critters, followed by flora and then soft corals. I shared a year + of observations with fellow divers who were equally curious. Most divers were bored just by visiting this site during that period, but when you linked the comments and images together, it became fascinating.

In modern recorded observations, there has never been a visible shift in the Ocean’s appearance after a seismic event off of Roatan. Stay tuned.

And somehow, without our help, Anka’s Place re-grew and recovered. We, as humans, are incredibly short-sighted and can not imagine that nature takes her time, but she will have her way.

Nature will prevail.
Watch the Lion Fish resist your annoying efforts.

Well I guess that makes cavern, cave, wreck and cenote diving a whole new adventure!

Reactions: Doc
Calvin might not be the only crack now

@lionfish-eater …. And a few feet away from Calvin’s Crack, next time, check this out…

@lionfish-eater …. And a few feet away from Calvin’s Crack, next time, check this out…
Was Mary’s Place previously known as Mary’s Crack?

Mary’s Crack?

I was in Roatan many blue moons ago and went through Mary's crack few times, in and out.

Back
Top Bottom