Interested in your recommendations for diving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe they need to visit Roatan someday?

You know I was going to try to fit in a overnight trip to Isla as part of the Whale Shark trip, but it seemed excessive when we could do it out of Punta Sam in one day. I still want to just visit Isla. Maybe a short trip to dive sailfish?

I think we are doing a few days through the mainland and in Merida in September

MAYBE one day out of MX? maybe try to talk my DM into a Palau trip, so I can have my DM....

MAYBE one day out of MX? maybe try to talk my DM into a Palau trip, so I can have my DM....
There are other great dive locales even in the Caribbean, or so I've heard.

As for Palau, I think you'll find that they have DMs there too. It's surprisingly modern that way. Your Cozumel DM would almost literally be a fish out of water there. Knowing the dive sites and local critters of Cozumel wouldn't help her a whit DMing in Palau, besides being able to set up your gear for you if you need a hand with that :)

Are there sailfish dives? I took a quick look and found zilch.

Snorkel / free dive only.

This has been going on for 10 years, but only recently has the world found out about it. About 7 years ago one of the dive magazines published a front page cover story about swimming with the sail fish at Isla Mujeres. That coincided with about the first time I visited the island. At that time I asked everyone I could find there about it and nobody knew anything about doing it. The back ground is Isla Mujeres is one of the top sailfish fishing places in the world, the season is roughly Dec-March, and every year for decades boats have come down from the US to stay at Isla for the winter sail fish season. It started as rum buddies and has no become, send your boat and crew and the owner flies down every week end and takes the boat out.

Anyways, a pro photographer scuba journalist got the idea, hey, sail fish, bait ball, me got camera you take me out and I'm getting in the water and see what happens and that's how the first article broke. Like I said when I first went there nobody had any idea about this and certainly there were no commercial ventures offering it to tourists. Well actually there was one, they weren't based there and it was more of an expidtion and it was about $10,000 a person.

Very slowly this is changing, more pros did photo essays, more magazines featured it, a couple of people on the island figured this out that this might make some money and now this new tourist industry is just on the brink of developing into something. There are still only one or two outfits that really know what they are doing in regard to this and then a couple fringe people who do all kinds of things there and are throwing their hat into the ring if you dig them up and offer them some money, and there are a couple of photographer specific USA based operations that put together a week long photo excursion ($4000-$5000 I think). People like the Keen group are more deep sea fishing companies and I'm sure they are still testing the waters, the season to swim with them is the same season to fish for them and after all every day they take one of their boats out of the very expensive deep sea fishing days they have to make up the money, there are a lot more single and small groups that will fork over $2500 for the day to fish then there are who will fork that over to swim with sail fish, so they probably need a lot of people in the water to make it affordable and I think that is the issue right now, because not many people have even heard of this.

But it's starting and its not developed like the whale sharks thing, it might be someday, but if you want in on something really unique and wild and just developing nows the time.

swim-with-and-photograph-sailfish-4.jpg

There are other great dive locales even in the Caribbean, or so I've heard.

Seriously? Nah.....

As for Palau, I think you'll find that they have DMs there too. It's surprisingly modern that way. Your Cozumel DM would almost literally be a fish out of water there. Knowing the dive sites and local critters of Cozumel wouldn't help her a whit DMing in Palau, besides being able to set up your gear for you if you need a hand with that :)

Weird. I was looking around and found this pic of the Palau airport tower.

Prof.jpg

As to my DM:

1. I love diving with her, because it is so nice to see her quiet. (of course people may enjoy my company more underwater too....)
2. She is a FINE judge of alcohol quality and that is important in a new locale.
3. I would pay to see her looking like a fish out of water.
4. Set up gear? You have to set it up? I seem to recall something about that in OW.....

Are there sailfish dives? I took a quick look and found zilch.

My bad. It would appear to be a snorkel trip, I guess. I had not really looked into it other than a brief discussion with the Capi.

Weird. I was looking around and found this pic of the Palau airport tower.

View attachment 190270
I believe that's the one in Yap. The one in Palau is at least covered by a thatched roof with a cage for the carrier pigeons they use to communicate with the pilot.

As to my DM:

2. She is a FINE judge of alcohol quality and that is important in a new locale.
The local Red Rooster beer is passable. The "local" wine is made from concentrate and is not.

Everything else AFAIK is imported, including the tequila. So you can take #2 off your list.

I don't know if it would completely meet your beach needs, but Village Tan Kah was really spectacular. It was a quaint little resort 50 feet away from the water. We dove with Scuba Shack which was right across the street. And when you booked their dive package at the hotel, you basically dove off their boat for free. They also offered unlimited shore diving, which your wife could easily just go and snorkel. The area where you could shore dive was much better than we thoguht it would be. Great reefs. We did some night dives and saw a cuddlefish octopus and giant crabs....It was pretty awesome. As far as beach time, there is a beach within walking distance of the resort. It's also not westerny at all. In fact I don't believe many of the staff spoke english. Breakfast was served outside and was usually home baked bread with freshly made jams, cereal, yogurt, freshly brewed coffee and some pastries. The diving was pretty great too. Minimum 4 to a boat, max 6. So it was intimate and comfortable. Some of the best diving of my life (though I'm not terribly seasoned...). As far as food, the area mostly had touristy places, but there was a food truck right down the street that served tortas and awesome tacos every day. And every morning there was a food truck outside the hotel that served empanadas and various other tasty looking items. It also was right next to the Royal Shopping center if you or your wife were into the whole shopping thing.

I'm not familiar with Village Tan Kah. Is that the little place just South of Casa Del Mar, tucked in behind the place where Ernesto's used to be a long, long time ago (across the street from it's current waterfront location)? Also, can't find any info on prices. The Facebook page makes it look a bit spartan (but spartan suits me just fine), but it has a lot of good reviews on TripAdvisor. But still can't find any info on prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom