Interested in your recommendations for diving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could someone post a link to the most recent steel tank thread, so we don't have to do it AGAIN? Or could someone insert some restaurant pics to break it up at least?

Why even the need? There would be no controversy if people didn't for some odd-ball reason have to rise up in defense of al 80s every time someone mentions a high pressure tank. The sensitivity to any mention of a steel tank on this forum is so odd and yet I do find it humorous at the same time.

Why even the need? There would be no controversy if people didn't for some odd-ball reason have to rise up in defense of al 80s every time someone mentions a high pressure tank. The sensitivity to any mention of a steel tank on this forum is so odd and yet I do find it humorous at the same time.

So your answer is NO, we have to do it again. Ok....

Just a note - not everyone needs a larger tank to routinely get 60 - 70 minute dives in. We very, very rarely have dives less than 60 minutes. Pedro and my other DM's actually work with those who are not as good on air to improve their air management - and we also have larger capacity tanks for those who really need the extra air.

I agree, I generally use 100's for both dives, because I'm doing photography and can swim around more than I would need to if I was just drifting down the reef.

My wife however only uses the typical 80's on both dives, and over 2 weeks of diving, almost every one of our dives, both the first 'deep' dive and the second dives were all right at an hour and many, just over.

Once again... many people do NOT need 100s or 120s to dive Cozumel. In fact, for many people they are a hassle and too cumbersome and the extra air unnecessary. I am 5'2" tall and even 80s are a bit big. I do 60 min dives out on the reefs and still come up with around 1000psi. I find recommending EVERYONE using bigger tanks is absurd.

Who is defensive? I am sure not - I find it amusing how much time some people have to spend around here picking others apart, analyzing, speculating, and twisting words and pretending to be mind readers. Those who get upset when others state their opinions which don't align with their own have bigger issues than time on their hands.

Once again... many people do NOT need 100s or 120s to dive Cozumel. In fact, for many people they are a hassle and too cumbersome and the extra air unnecessary. I am 5'2" tall and even 80s are a bit big. I do 60 min dives out on the reefs and still come up with around 1000psi. I find recommending EVERYONE using bigger tanks is absurd.
That would be absurd if anyone had recommended it. I for one said "120s aren't for everyone to be sure, but the popularity of dive ops like Aldora for instance proves that they are beneficial to many divers." It was just a helpful suggestion. As another posted noted, "Those who get upset when others state their opinions which don't align with their own have bigger issues than time on their hands."

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 09:05 AM ----------

Guys. I thought I had asked about where to stay and dive. Oh well. Thanks for the insight
The problem is that there are no places that fill all of your needs. Cozumel is not Roatan. Instead of staying at dedicated dive resorts, none of which fit your qualifications of having a beach, etc., most people stay at hotels or at resorts with on-site dive shops, some people rent houses or stay at B&Bs. Many of those who stay at resorts with on-site dive shops do not use the on-site dive shops because there are better options available that will pick up at the resort dock. People who stay in hotels may get picked up at a town dock by dive ops who pick up there or else get transported to the caleta where the dive boats park at night. There are a multitude of dive ops, a multitude of options where to spend the night. So asking where to stay and dive is a bit broad and you will get a multitude of responses.

The better solution for you may be to browse through previous posts as the "where to stay and dive" question has been asked and answered a multitude of times and perhaps you can glean enough information to enable you to ask more pointed questions that will yield more helpful responses.

If you haven't picked up on it yet, Cozumel options involve trade offs. There is probably not one "ideal" location or dive op. There are a great many choices, and what is best for you depends entirely upon personal preferences. If you insist on a dedicated Dive Resort, there are really only two, Scuba Club Cozumel and Blue Angel, and neither has a beach to speak of. If you insist on a big resort with a beach, there are several, all well south of town, all AI, all convenient to the dive sites, but very inconvenient to the great restaurants in town if you discover that your AI resort has only marginal food. The in-town hotels, like Casa Mexicana, are very convenient to the restaurants and night life of downtown, but limit your choices of Dive Ops to those that pick up downtown or will transport you to the Caleta (but there are a few very good dive ops that will pick up downtown or transport you to the Caleta), none are convenient to beaches. Those in the "near downtown" area south of town, like Hotel Cozumel, are a short walk to downtown (15 minutes or less), with more of a "resort" feel. Others down near the International Pier, like Casa Del Mar, El Cid, etc., are a cab ride from downtown, but much closer to the beaches, and more Dive Op options. I personally love Cozumel as much for the great food choices and friendly people as for the diving, so I do NOT do All Inclusive resorts on Cozumel, and I prefer staying either downtown, a short walk from downtown, or at Casa Del Mar, but no farther south. Others are more into diving and less into food and culture, and may select one of the big AI resorts way south. It depends upon what you want from a Cozumel vacation. As to Dive Ops, again, there are a hundred good choices, with different options - what do you like? A big boat with lots of socializing, or a quick six-pack? High end valet service, or just give me a tank and weights and I'll take care of myself? Big steel tanks, long dives (1 hour plus) and long SI on the beach, or 45 minute dives on AL 80s where you get back to the Hotel by noon? You generally do NOT have to use the house dive op, though some resorts will charge you a pier fee to let other dive ops pick up at the hotel pier, and i have my own set of favorite ops, but then so do most of the other posters in this forum. The question is what criteria are important to YOU in a dive op?

For Cozumel, don't you think you could put together something that works?

The first sentence of you wants focuses on not-Western with a little adventure feel. That almost sounds like get out of a 'compound' style dive resort? If you are open to that, there are more options.

Second sentence starts with food. As a foodie, isn't Cozumel great? I mean you have to eat in town, but price and selection is pretty darn good. That is an adventure in and of itself!! From the cheap and local to the moderate and fancy, it is a great experience. We are CONSTANTLY juggling old favorites with new ideas. Finally hit Diego's by the airport in July. Very nice place!

Diving is terrific, right? Surely you could throw together something on that front. You like a little challenge, you can always find someone to take you out as much as you want. I am sure many ops, if they are not going out in the afternoon, will place you with another op they like.

And the beach thing: Would sand and chair next to a decent snorkeling spot be maybe acceptable? Maybe I don't get the 'beach' thing? I started scuba because we were doing the Caribbean trip and I did not want to lay on a beach all day, but, that being said, what exactly does 'beach' mean to your beach people?

You seem to have gotten alot of 'not here' advice from people and only you know if that REALLY applies to you, but I think you should give it another look. There is SO much in Coz to love and lots of people come here and become Coz-aholics. You OWE it to yourself to give it a try, I think.

You seem to have gotten alot of 'not here' advice from people and only you know if that REALLY applies to you, but I think you should give it another look. There is SO much in Coz to love and lots of people come here and become Coz-aholics. You OWE it to yourself to give it a try, I think.
The problem I see (gathered from the Isla Mujeres thread) is that the OP wants a "Roatanny" experience somewhere else besides Roatan. My advice to the OP, similar to yours, would be to enjoy a Cozumel experience instead. Instead of trying to make the trip emulate as much of the "Roatanny" experience, be open to trying a completely difference experience. It's doubtful the experience will be a bad one; in fact, it's very likely it may end up being a better one. But until one tries to break the mold, how can one truly know whether the experience one has enjoyed in the past is the ultimate experience.

Of course I would urge that same advice on "Coz-aholics" as well. There are many that don't travel anywhere besides Cozumel because they fear they won't get that "Cozumelly" experience. Maybe they need to visit Roatan someday?

Back
Top Bottom