Interested in Easier RI Wreck Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dookchute

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Evening!

I recently purchased a 26’ Sea Ray (I know, I know, it’s not a dive boat) and wanted to start diving some of the wrecks with my new method of ocean access! She’s docked in Watch Hill, RI and I’ve been looking for good wrecks to explore. I saw an old ScubaBoard post of a Charlestown, RI aircraft dive? The Hellcat? Any new info on this wreck?? Coordinates? Anyone interested in going out with us??

I also found this site, Hunting New England Shipwrecks Anybody have any recent info on the wrecks around my location, like the Onondaga? Are any of the wrecks listed on this site worth our time or all broken up? Just looking to gain some knowledge from anybody who knows more! -Thanks!

Go download navionics. You can find all the wrecks and coordinates in your area. There are some things not listed but a quick Google will give you those numbers. Navionics is a boating app that shows you nautical charts. Like this. That's the u853.

Screenshot_20190717-205754_Boating HD.jpg

Go download navionics. You can find all the wrecks and coordinates in your area.

I've been using Navionics since the end of last season and it's been quite useful to find wrecks, however there are two wrecks that show up on the chart in the Smithtown Bay where I do most of my boating and diving and I've checked out those spots, going back and forth over them varying my course slightly and have found nothing on the sonar.

So I question the accuracy.

Thanks for the tip swimlikethefish! Do you get out a lot in this area? Always looking for more dive buddies

Yes/no. I usually dive that area in early spring. I have other hobbies the that take up the rest of my year. But occasionally on fishing trips we stop on the way back and dive the grecian or the bass.

Swimlikethefish. I went out at slack tide over the weekend and the current around the Onondaga was honking! Any idea if I just caught this wreck on a bad day or is this typical of that spot? Thanks!

Swimlikethefish. I went out at slack tide over the weekend and the current around the Onondaga was honking! Any idea if I just caught this wreck on a bad day or is this typical of that spot? Thanks!

Welcome to New England wreck diving. Best to time it with a slack and a new moon. Or do not let go of the down line. John lines are your friend when doing deco. I prefer to drop down fast and stay near the wrecks. If needed I run a reel incase I get blown off. If you can dive in New England, you can dive anywhere.

This is one of the sites I use a reel to dive. The current is so unpredictable and strong I feel better knowing I can get back to anchor line quick or straight up still "moored" to the wreck. The further west the current takes you the stronger it seems to get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom