Intense weight lifting and diving, how long should we wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. I started weight lifting a few months ago. My workout routine is 4 days a week, 15-20 sets, 8-12 reps. I lift the heaviest I can do in proper form.

I'm wondering how long should a lifter wait before and after the dive.

My instructor told me I should wait for a day, but he doesn't train so he doesn't 100% sure, and none of his students train. Divers I randomly met told different story ranged between 3 and 72 hours. PADI open water handbook is the worst, it only stated that divers should not do any exercise RIGHT after diving.

What do you guys say?

:scubadiver::scubadiver::scubadiver::scubadiver:

PS. In case of you are not sure how intense I am, this is my 1RM record. I'm 27. 5"6'.

Bench 190
Deadlift 280
Squat 250

Dr. Neil Pollock (one of the world's leading hyperbaric physicians) recommends to wait at least 24 hours after diving before engaging in strenuous physical activity. And to be on the safe side, he also recommends to wait 24 hours after strenuous physical activity before you go diving. OTOH, there are indications that light physical activity before diving is beneficial: Juggling Physical Exercise and Diving — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article

From the article I linked to, it seems as if weightlifting is one of the worst activities to engage in shortly after a dive.

I looked into that online and on different threads around here on Scubaboard and the consensus seems to be not to do anything crazy, meaning intense workouts, for 4-12 hours after the surfacing from the last dive... It's all individual, I guess. Plus, I'm sure age, fitness level and genetics have a lot to do with it... And even after that time frame you should do only easier stuff. The joint bearing exercises, just like in weightlifting, might 'interfere' with off-gassing nitrogen from your tissues, the last of them being joints and bones... Therefore, you see it mention a lot: A big NO to joint loading exercises after diving!

I mostly run, I don't lift weights, and pretty much schedule my runs before my dives, so I'm finished about 2 hours before my first dive... Before is always better than after, I just make sure to rehydrate... OTOH, I'm not sure if lifting weights before diving doesn't mess up your muscle recovery from intense lifting... Hope someone else can fill you in on that...

I know folks that lift pretty heavy...and dive. Most of them don't lift on dive days...other than that they don't do anything special.

i would wait till the next day. especially with the insane amount of volume you're doing
how old are you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom