Intense Pain 5 Hours After Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brandonze

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum and I am looking for answers on a pain that has happened on my last four dives.

A little backgroud. I dislocated my shoulder in 2005, Forcing it forward out of the socket. This tore a piece of bone up to create a little bone spur that has since filled in and does not bother me at all on land.

I made a dive April 20th. First dive was to 90 ft and second of the day was 60 ft. Hour surface intervel, and both dives where well within the tables. Safety stop for both was 15ft for three min.

After returning home, and washing my gear, I sat down and began to notice an intense pain in my left shoulder. Took some Motrin and still persited. Went away after @ 12 hours.

Made two more dives this last saturday. one 60 ft and one 50 ft. Same thing happened but it seemed worse.

All pain is localized to that shoulder and only lasts for about 12 hours. I am 32 and in good health. I am wondering what the heck is cuasing this. Any ideas are welcomed!

Try wearing gear on shoulders, you sure its from being down under, If so the bubbles coul possibly activate, and then you have the option of staying at a safety for say 10 mins. and slowly from atm 3 to atm 2, then to atm 1.

Also there is MEDICAL SECTION to put this in where they will see this post, to answer.

Hi,

I would recommend to pay a visit at Diving Physician to make
proper valuation with your medical and health history. That way you will get correct assesment about your situation.
Longer you wait, more psycologial issues might stress you with not knowing what is going on. I bet every diver is thinking of having DCI at least once during their life due to symptoms and changes in own health.

Hopefully you get well!

Br,
FinnWithFins

ps. In the future, use DiveX to check dive planning :wink:

My recommendation is to preface any post like this that you are NOT a doctor etc. because it sure looks like you are saying the solution is a 10 minute safety stop. I suggest this for the safety of those you are addressing and the safety of anybody reading the post in the future.

Try wearing gear on shoulders, you sure its from being down under, If so the bubbles coul possibly activate, and then you have the option of staying at a safety for say 10 mins. and slowly from atm 3 to atm 2, then to atm 1.

Also there is MEDICAL SECTION to put this in where they will see this post, to answer.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Diving Medicine.

Given the description of your symptoms, I felt that your post would recieve a more direct, medical response here.

Please note the DAN contact numbers at the top of the forum page. You can call DAN toll-free to discuss your symptoms. There is a chance that this could be DCS, in which case you should follow this up immediately.

There is absolutely no way for anyone here on SB to reliably offer any assistance other than to suggest you seek out a competent "dive doctor" and get evaluated. Although there is a wealth of experienced divers, both recreational and professional, the vast majority are not medical professionals, and even those cannot accurately assess a situation without "hands on/eyes on" examinations and more information (usually in the form of some tests/x-rays/etc...). Perhaps the best info you could get here is a possible referral to a suitable physician with diving experience in your area. DAN has a medical hotline that could probably help with this. Hope you get this problem resolved promptly and you get back to diving soon.

A Just got done emailing DAN. Hopefully they can find me a good Dive Doc to take a look. I know that is what I need. Thank you all for any advice that you have given.

Good luck with it. Hopefully it is nothing that will impact future diving.

Hi brandonze,

Difficult to say, but a number of comments to consider:

1. Given no deco obligations, gradual ascents, safety stops and proper surface intervals, the dives reported would be unlikely to precipitate DCS, especially the day involving one to 60 ft and one to 50 ft.

2. Joint-related DCS pain typically is most common in the elbows, hips and knees, and less so in the shoulders, although it can occur there.

3. The discomfort in joint pain-only DCS most typically is described as nagging, deep and boring rather than "intense," although it can be. When it is intense, the most typical presentation is mild discomfort that progresses to severe pain.

3. Delay of onset until after returning home, washing gear and sitting down (~5-hrs post-dive) is a bit unusual. Onset of DCS-related joint pain most commonly appears within an hour or two after the last dive, sometimes sooner.

4. The wrestling with heavy gear involved in diving can be hard on a previously damaged shoulder and can cause discomfort based on mechanical, not gas phase, considerations.

It also is possible that the positioning of the shoulder during diving or pressure on the shoulder from one's BC or wetsuit could result in reduced blood flow. Such mechanical factors can result in pain in previously injured areas.

In this regard, our DrDeco, retired from a position as a senior researcher for NASA at the Johnson Space Center and also a former Head of the Environmental Physiology and Biophysics Research, is fond of saying: “Divers will often associate medical problems (e.g., achy muscles) with a dive. Remember, as I have often said, millions of people have these same problems, and have never dived in their life. They will visit a physician or chiropractor and never think of DCS.”

All of this is not say that what is described is not DCS, only that it's unlikely to be DCS.

It might be prudent to have an orthopedist have a look at the shoulder, alter the ways in which gear is transported and donned/doffed, check the fit and finish of gear that impacts the shoulder area, and experiment with different arm positioning while u/w.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

DR Vickingo,

I have pretty much ruled out DCS from being my problem. It should to have anything to do with it seeing as how I was well within the tables. I am thinking it is mearly a aggrevation to an old injury. The good thing is, the pain is not going to hamper me form diving, But it is strong engough for me to go to see a Doc about it.

Thanks for the Advice!

Back
Top Bottom