Integrated weights question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standingbear56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Everyone,
I have a question about the ability to remove and replace your scuba unit underwater. It is my understanding that the latest requirements for PsD (I believe according to the NFPA) requires a separate weight system - intergrated systems are not allowed. This is due to the requirement that the diver need to be able to remove/replace their system in case of entanglement.
I do not question the need to remove/replace equipment in case of entanglement, but if a person is trained and equipped properly, this can be done easily and safely with an intergrated system also. The proper way to do it is to remove the weights from the system and place them either in side pockets on the exposure suit or clipped off on a belt worn under the bcd. At this point the system can be removed and replaced as any other unit without the diver hanging on to it for dear life trying not to float away. A properly trained diver can do this easily and fast.
It is my understanding that this regulation came about because many divers using intergrated systems have not been properly trained in this procedure. Would having this training make any difference with complience. The reason I am asking is that several of our teams have intergrated systems (mainly Zeagle Rangers and SARs) and the cost to buy new systems is out of the budget at this time, and the way the Zeagles fit a weight belt/harness is not practical.
Thanks in advance,
George

Not speaking in terms of NFPA, but in terms of the practical side from a backup/standby diver's point of view...

In no visibility, i think it is easier to reach feel for and find a weight belt buckle on a teammate then go hunting for integrated weight releases. Among integrated BC's, there are multiple types of releases, and most teams i am familiar with do not have one standard type of BC. Hmmm, was Joe Teammate wearing a Black Diamond with side pockets releases... or was it a Zeagle rip cord... or...

Too much multitasking adds to stress and time. I think the point is not only you being able to release your weights, but also incorporating whoever is coming to assist you being able to release them as well.

I carry a backup mask in a thigh pocket... great in concept. I need to find a better way to stow it on my BC instead of my thigh, since the weight belt gets hung up on my leg during the weight belt drop. Is it something i can adjust for in the water by myself, yes... is it easy for a teammate to remember to find and undo the clip around my thigh as he drops the belt?

All goes in the same line of thinking with why i don't wear a crotch strap, since it is an extra step in dropping a belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom