Integrated Octo - Oral Inflation (some air goes to exhaust?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got my first BCD-integrated octo. Playing with it on land, I orally inflated and, while it did work, I got at least some of my exhaled air out the exhaust intead of into my wing. I realize there are design limitations due to the multi-function aspect of this piece of gear, so is this normal? Chatted with the vendor online about this (it's a DGX Gears reg, virtually identical to a Dive Rite Rite Source) and the rep said "the majority" of the air goes up the tube when he tries it with his unit at the shop. I guess I could agree with that -- most of the air seems to go toward inflation, not out the exhaust.

If I hold my hand over the exhaust, ALL the air goes up the tube to the wing.

In water, would the flapper valve prevent this due to water pressure? Owners of Air2 and similar models, what happens when YOU orally inflate while topside? Does it all go into the wing/BCD? Or does some of it go out the exhaust?

Just making sure I don't need to exchange the unit.

Try pushing the button harder

button needs to be fully depressed but you've also found another of the weaknesses of octo-inflators. Also make sure you figure out how you will purge your bladder on accent whilst breathing off that reg - secondary dump or inflator pull - best to have a plan beforehand and practice it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom