Insurance for Divers/DM's in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsorenson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is regarding Mexican Citizens... Not Americans traveling to Mexico...!

I posted this on the "Thread Split - DAN insurance for Cozumel DM's?" but thought I would start a new thread so the information Laura Johnson sent was not lost...

As promised; here is the email from Laura Johnson, Mexico Staff- DAN World...

I spent a bit of time with Laura this morning on the phone trying to find out IF insurance was available to Mexican citizens in particular, those who make a living as a Dive Master... I attached her email with her knowledge I would do so and I beg of you who read; if you disagree fine but please be respectful and you can always call to verify the information provided or ask for clarification...! Laura provided several phone numbers at the end to help with any questions...

lee

http://www.travelerems.com/pdf/TEMSMexicoPreparedlDiverProgram.pdf
http://www.travelerems.com/pdf/TEMSMexicoLocalDiverProgram.pdf
Hi Lee,

Thanks for talking with me this morning regarding DAN programs available in Mexico. I welcome all direct comments whether by phone or email regarding what programs are available.

In Mexico, we are under the DAN World region. This means that DAN World and Traveler EMS work together to provide coverage programs to all level of divers. There are many different DAN regions, including DAN America (which provides coverage to divers living in the US and Canada), DAN World (which provides coverage to divers in Latin America, the Caribbean, and the US protectorates), DAN Europe (which provides coverage to divers living in Europe, the Middle East, Northern Africa, and a few other areas) DAN Asia Pacific (which provides coverage to divers living in Australia, New Zealand, and many Pacific Islands), DAN Japan (which only provides coverage to divers living in Japan), and DAN Southern Africa (which provides coverage to divers living in South Africa and many other African countries).

DAN World and DAN America work very closely together when a dive accident occurs and the emergency hotline is activated. We use the same emergency hotline number and the same medics handle the dive emergency calls for both regions.

Below is the general email I send to all divers who want to know what coverage is available to them while living in Mexico but are still unaware of the DAN World region:

We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to your new DAN region - DAN World. DAN World has been established to better serve the needs of members like you in regions outside of the United States and Canada but previously covered by DAN America.

As a DAN World Member you will still have access to many of your favorite benefits, such as online publications (alertdiver.com), special member product pricing, Worldcue® Planner, and the DAN Tag. Although you will no longer receive a printed copy of the Alert Diver you can now see the magazine online for free. Your member benefits will be provided to you through Traveler Emergency Medical Services.

Traveler Emergency Medical Services (Traveler EMS) is now the provider for your Travel Assistance needs. Working closely with DAN World they have developed a program which provides travel assistance benefits and protects you against the expenses of a covered diving accident. You can get information on the new Traveler EMS programs by visiting the website at :: Traveler EMS ::.

One thing that has not changed is DAN’s commitment to diving safety, regardless of where you live or do business. The 24-hour Diving Emergency Hotline, the Medical Information Line, the Dive Medical Research Programs, and the Recompression Chamber Assistance Programs are all still in place using the same professionals at the same phone numbers that you have counted on for nearly 30 years.

In Mexico, there are 2 programs that you are eligible for: The Mexico Local Diver Program and the Mexico Prepared Diver Program. I recommend the Mexico Prepared Diver Program, because it offers a benefit for medical expenses for diving accidents here in Mexico and abroad where as the Mexico Local Diver Program is only for dive accidents occurring in Mexico. The Mexico Prepared Diver Program cost $119 for the year, and has coverage no matter where in the world you dive. To apply, click the link at the top of our website that says Register Online. Then fill out the application and click submit. The second step is to click Buy Now beside the program you wish to purchase in the list that will appear. Then another form to fill in the credit card details will appear. That’s your 3rd step. The webpage should confirm if your payment is approved. You’ll immediately get an email confirming the transaction. Then, within 48 hours after that, you’ll get a second email with your credentials attached. This credential is your proof of activation of coverage. If you get lost anywhere along the way, just give us a call or shoot us an email. You can reach me personally by skype on TravelerEMSspanish.

For more information about your new opportunities with Traveler EMS call +1.202.470.0929 (English), +52.55.8421.9866 (Spanish), or +55.11.3711.7063 (Portuguese). Contact us on Skype as "traveleremsspanish," or visit the website at :: Traveler EMS ::.

To better understand the benefits offered under each coverage and their limitations I recommend that you also check out our website and see what we offer.

If you have any specific questions about how to sign up your diving friends or divemasters who live in Mexico, just let me know.

Best regards,

Laura Johnson
Mexico Staff- DAN World
Tel (52) 558.421.9866
Cel (52) 1-987-871-9901

Visite a DAN World y Traveler EMS
www.DiversAlertNetwork.org/world

:: Traveler EMS ::

ljohnson@dan.org

Last edited:
Yes - this is correct - it's also a BRAND NEW program that was implemented within the last few months as I stated in an earlier post. What was you were not told was about the limited coverage that they provide to local dive masters and instructors. There has been A LOT of controversy and confusion over local DM's/Instructors and what coverage is available. However, I do have to give kudos to Laura and Dr. Piccolo for getting us this far and allowing us to have coverage at all. Unfortunately, this was not available in March - but I had primary insurance as earlier stated.

This is regarding Mexican Citizens... Not Americans traveling to Mexico...!

I posted this on the "Thread Split - DAN insurance for Cozumel DM's?" but thought I would start a new thread so the information Laura Johnson sent was not lost...

As promised; here is the email from Laura Johnson, Mexico Staff- DAN World...

I spent a bit of time with Laura this morning on the phone trying to find out IF insurance was available to Mexican citizens in particular, those who make a living as a Dive Master... I attached her email with her knowledge I would do so and I beg of you who read; if you disagree fine but please be respectful and you can always call to verify the information provided or ask for clarification...! Laura provided several phone numbers at the end to help with any questions...

lee

Christi,

I'm not clear how this would have helped you, as the program states that (like DAN America) insurance, it covers incidents that occur 50 miles/80 km from your residence. What am I missing?

kari

Edit: Ah. I see. I found the piece I was missing, and retract my question... carry on.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you started a new thread, but the program looks pretty bad. Even the top program is limited: Diving Accident Medical Expenses: Yes – up to US$5,000 in Mexico; US$50,000 abroad. I don't see any provisions for a local to be medevacted elsewhere, and long term treatment is limited to one year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom