Insulated diveskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw once a skin that had a fleece lining (or it looked liek fleece to me). the sales guy claimed it was like having an extra 2 mils of protection without adding any bouyancy.

Are there such skins available that actually work as adverised?

I am thinking I need new thermal protection. My current suit, a 3/2, is about old enough to be a good bottle of scotch (and has also shrunk a little if you can believe it)

Coldwater/Weather M-Tech Tops & Bottoms | Men's | Mysterioso

Here is what I use to give me some extra warmth under my wetsuit. This stuff is pretty insulating, I wear them at night when I ride my motorcycle (it gets down to about 65* at night here, sometimes), have the doors off the jeep, or I just want to be warm so it's super multi-functional. They are nice during the SI when you strip down, towel off just like you weren't wearing it (moisture-wicking) and the shivers go bye-bye. After 5 or 10 minutes you can take it off and be dry underneath but still wring a fair amount of water out of the shirt.

The only problem is that it's kind of expensive, but for the utility I get out of the product I feel it's worth it.

Peace,
Greg

So what is this equivelent to? 1 mil, 2 mil? The suit I saw was a bit different-basically a skin with a lining but thanks-that might work.

I'd say it could probably be compared to having an extra millimeter of neoprene on, as far as thermal protection goes. Maybe 2, but that would depend on how well it truly fits you.

Looking at the tag on my s/s shirt lists the materials as 64% Polyester (inner insulation?), 24% Nylon (outer windbreak?), and 12% spandex (for stretchiness), the long sleeve is the same. So while it's not very comparable to wetsuit thickness as it's not neoprene, just by the fact that it gives me some extra time underwater before I chill plus making SI a lot nicer on our cooler days I can tell it works. I also use the l/s shirt as my undergarment when I dive my drysuit here and it works superb for that task or as just a great base layer.

Also, when diving wet, how you layer everything plays a role in warmth. I use the shirt first with a pair of army PT shorts, then put the wetsuit on, then my tuck my hood over the neck of the shirt, put my 1.5mm gloves on, then don the wetsuit ensuring that I've tucked my wetsuit legs into my boots so I have a full neoprene-neoprene seal everywhere. It sounds funky and cumbersome but it's what keeps me warmest so far. I've been downright toasty on dives when follow that procedure.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom