Instructors - Neutral Buoyancy teaching tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Travis Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How many times have you tried to explain buoyancy to a student, child or adult, only to get that blank look on the face? Or does this only happen during my classes? :idk: During Scubacamp last week, another instructor pulled this out during the classroom session to show the kids buoyancy. I had to have one. It is easy to set up, simply get a plastic bottle and follow the directions.

Squidy is the perfect tool to demonstrate buoyancy control concepts during a open water scuba certification class. Squeeze the bottle to make Squidy descend and release to ascend. With the perfect amount of pressure he will remain neutrally buoyant. This perfectly demonstrates that pressure increases as a diver descends and decreases as the diver ascends.

Here is a demo - Squidy demonstrates Buoyancy Control

Go to www.beamazing.com to get one for your teaching tool box.

Thats a pretty cool way to teach! i have seen people do that with an eyedropper as well

Neat.

I've used a 35mm film canister and a clear plastic jar full of water. I have about a half a dozen washers in the film canister. With the full half dozen the canister sinks like a stone. Take out 4 or 5 and the canister bobs on the surface. Use 3 or 4 and the canister hangs or slowly sinks in the middle of the jar. Easy and clear association with weight and buoyancy.

I was going to say - straps some tiny weights onto Squidy. Maybe give him a tiny BC to compensate. :)

That is a tricky principle to teach, especially to someone that can't grasp it conceptually.

I've had my IPC (Integrated Physics and Chemistry) classes build them for years. Not only does it teach buoyancy, but if you make the "float" out of something clear (eyedropper, or we use little pipettes with a washer for ballast) and you can watch the air in the float compress as you squeeze the bottle, thus allowing the float to gain enough weight to go negative. Of course, release the pressure and the air expands, the water is displaced and up it comes. It's a great way to show the effects of Boyles law.

I also present an educator's workshop for teachers titled "Using Scuba to Teach Science Concepts" and have them build these. Place a little hook on the float, put some loops of wire on the bottom of the bottle, and even adults will entertain themselves for a long time trying to raise the "targets" from the bottom. Loads of fun!

Robert now you need another Super Hero Zip Tied to You're BC :wink:

Any suggestions? Is there a Timeliner action figure floating around?

Yes there is but it was used in that movie like Deliverance I think with a banjo player or something like that right

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom