Instructor pages at SCUBA.COM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevfin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was going through a local dive magazine and saw that SCUBA.COM has a place for instructors to create their own web page. Kind of cool, as it provides a resource for students and earns the instructor something for their efforts.

It looks new, as I don't remember seeing it before:

Instructor Pages - Powered by Scuba.com

Curious if any instructor or student has used it and what they thought?

Also, I know Scuba Toys, Dive Sports, Joe Diver America, Leisurepro, and others offer some type of affiliate sales and discount program. Are there any other reputable on-line stores that offer this?

What type of experience have you had with other programs?

I think this kind of thing is both good for students, instructors, divers in general, and legitimate retailers.

Any other thoughts?

How is it good for students? Your instructor is making money off his advice to you. I definitely see how it works for the retailer and the instructor, but I don't see how it is an improvement for the student. The retailer and instructor are tag-teaming the students to soak as much cash from them as possible... :) Just my opinion..

Sean

How is it good for students? Your instructor is making money off his advice to you. I definitely see how it works for the retailer and the instructor, but I don't see how it is an improvement for the student. The retailer and instructor are tag-teaming the students to soak as much cash from them as possible... :) Just my opinion..

Sean

Good point. The student is definitely beholden to the instructor/retailer. There is always the possibility the instructor will suggest the most expensive items or try and take advantage of the student.

I'm guessing that is probably the perceived case (many times real) when a student buys his gear from a LDS too. Specially in shops where instructors make commissions on gear sales.

At least on-line, there is the possibility of better pricing, selection, and convenience. It also sets the student up to buy future gear on line once they become certified. So, there may be some benefits.

What divebuddydean said. Plus I've never bought anything at an LDS except a couple of nick-nacks. All of my gear has been bought over the Internet and mostly on Ebay. Saved lotsa dollar by doing this. If something isn't right it's a lot cheaper to pay to return it than to pay retail. They got anough out of me for the $80 for a study book, $350 for instructions and $200 rental on their gear for a couple days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom