Instructor job on G Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Kangaroo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
UK / Thailand / Honduras / Red Sea / Med / Oz whe
Hi folks,

hope you can help,

I've been offered an instructors job on GY - pay is about 1300 CI per month

I've no worries with the job but can I survive on that level of pay.

Does anyone know what the tips are like - if any ?

What is the cost of accomodation ?

Anything else I should know ?

Thanks so much for any information

cheers and safe diving

Hi Blue Kangaroo,

Congratulations!
CI$1300 per month is actually a pretty good starting salary for an instructor here in Grand Cayman. I guess that the average starting salary is around CI$1100 per month so you are on to a better start than most!

Of course you can survive on that, plenty of people have done and still do! Remember that there is no income tax so after you have paid half of your compulsory health insurance and 5% in compulsory pension payments the rest is all yours. Health insurance deductions are around CI$50 per month.

Many instructors start off sharing rooms to get a good start here as accomodation can be expensive. A 2 bed apartment will cost between CI$1200 and CI$1600 pm but don't despair, once you get here there are always plenty of ads for apartment sharing and you shouldn't expect to pay more than about CI$500-600 pm.

This of course depends on where you want to live. Are you going to be working in the 7-mile beach area or in East End?

Hope this gives you ideas, let me know if you need any more specific info before you get here.

CJ

Some places start lower. Some start higher. Based upon that wage, you will need to rely on tips for some basic necessities.

Shared housing is likely necessary. Depending upon where you'll be living, you may not need a car.

You will probably be required to contribute toward your mandatory health insurance. Mandatory contributions to pension plans may not start immediately depending upon details of your work permit arrangement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom