Instructor classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a trying to start up a small scuba business. I have buddies who are Dive Instructors who are looking to make a little money on the side. I want to advertise classes, find a public pool for them to teach out of, and give them half the course costs after expenses. I already have a website and product line in the making to support the new business venture.

My first dilemma is the need to find a pool to instruct out of. From all of your experience, where or what is the best way for me to find a pool to teach out of? I am looking to start my operation with 2 classes a month, about 3-5 / 8 hour days each, with no more than 5 students.

My second dilemma is my liability insurance. I haven't even shopped around yet and have already heard the nightmares. I need to find a liability contract to have the students sign, and was going to feed off PADI's example. From my research I will start the business as an LLC, and will need to have business liability insurance for over 1 million dollars. Will i need anything different? Any advice on insurance(s) and ways to limit my overhead?

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10072-Ver2@1-e.pdf
PADI Scuba Diving Paperwork and Liability Release and Medical Forms

There are so many questions I have as it pertains to Insurance and liability, but just trying to narrow it down, is there anything else I should be aware of as it applies to contracting these guys to do classes?

I havent set up my business for public view yet, but should I be in the business forum? How do I get there?

Without specific info about the nature of your business, most advice you'll get will be very generalized business advice. The training agencies have insurance packages for instructors and operations and you'll hear many opinions on the board about which ones are best and which ones are part of the global dive industry conspiracy to control and destroy the world.

I tell people starting in the dive business that they should focus on the basics of business first. Come up with realistic cost and sales numbers to plug into a mathematical model of your planned business. Use cost figures calculated from your area, (expected sales volume and projected expenses are specific to a region.) If you live in Arizona, don't use sales projections based on scuba activity in Hawaii (it sounds obvious but you'd be surprised at people.)

There are many articles and postings from experienced dive business people on the board. Some might talk about business models that are different than yours but still have great info that can be applied to what you are doing. Here is a shameless plug for one I wrote:

ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network - So you want to be in the dive business…

The dive business is unique and holds some challenges that other businesses don't have to deal with but it is still a business first. Look at business basics first (costs, cash control, inventory control, etc.) then apply your new idea for a business.

Times are tough for the dive industry but sometimes tough times are where opportunities are born.

Thank you, What about pool ideas? Any advice where I could find pools to use for the classes once insurance is figured out?

I am trying to figure out how to get it started. I am looking to complete my captains license and buy a small boat in the next couple years. I have a product line that I am looking at starting, but have to trademark my logo first $$$ :(. I have an informational website started that is very basic and probably needs attention from a professional, but is a start. Because I am so busy with my full time job my time is limited. However, I am trying to come up with a way to get it started and then pull it all together, to work together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom