Installing the Air Control on my Mares BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blawler1

Reaction score
Lago Vista, Texas (on Lake Travis outside Austin)
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I got Air Controls for my wife and my Mares BCs. The manual included in the box is not helpful as far as detailing installation. I started to remove the inflator control from mine and noticed a cord running through it. I am figuring this may be the dump valve and I am wondering if I need to cut it or what.? Also, included in the box were a couple of small metal pins that from the diagram, looks like they go in the hose. Any assistance would be welcome.

That cord pulls the shoulder dump valve. You will need to untie it or if you are forced to cut, replace it when you install the air control.
Unfortunately I have never installed one, so I cannot give you any specifics.

I don't know Mares products but on Zeagle gear there's a small metal pin that's captured under the inflator hose and held in place by the ziptie. Sometimes it takes a little effort to push it out. I assume the "small metal pins" are for the same use on the Mares.

I have the exact same situation. I am replacing a Mares air inflator control with a Mares Air Control Octopus. I thought about cutting the string and tieing it to the pins, but you would have to experiment with the length of the cord and it may become unuseable. I also don't know if the old air inflator would be usable again with the cut cord.

There were no useful directions from Mares and I have found none on the internet.

The silence from the Mares reps was deafening. I ended up taking it to the local dive shop that works on Mares. Fortunately, I was able to trade in the left over inflator controls to reduce the installation cost.

I understand Mares' interest in steering installation to their affilliate shops, but at least I would hope that someone would give me the time of day as I have spent some coin purchasing their products (several large). Mares has always been a stand up company in my prior dealings and I continue to use and believe in the quality and value of their equipment.

I have the exact same situation. I am replacing a Mares air inflator control with a Mares Air Control Octopus. I thought about cutting the string and tieing it to the pins, but you would have to experiment with the length of the cord and it may become unuseable. I also don't know if the old air inflator would be usable again with the cut cord.

There were no useful directions from Mares and I have found none on the internet.

Just make it longer then required and shorten it at the pull handle end to suit your requirement.
:popcorn:

I see this is a fairly old thread and just wanted to find out if installation instructions were ever put out by Mares or anyone else for that matter. I just purchased this product and want to make sure I install it properly.

You need to untie the cord for the shoulder purge valve from the inflator button assebly. Push the pin or pins through the appropriate holes in the and tie the cord to the pins. The cord should be tighenened, but not over streched, and there shouldn't be any slack on it. That way you can still pull on the cord with the new octopus in place to acivate the purge valve on the top.

The silence from the Mares reps was deafening. I ended up taking it to the local dive shop that works on Mares. Fortunately, I was able to trade in the left over inflator controls to reduce the installation cost.

I understand Mares' interest in steering installation to their affilliate shops, but at least I would hope that someone would give me the time of day as I have spent some coin purchasing their products (several large). Mares has always been a stand up company in my prior dealings and I continue to use and believe in the quality and value of their equipment.

I called Mares today. The person that answered would not give any assistance for "liability reasons". I told him that was complete BS since the manual has 6 cryptic illustrations that give you just enough info to kill yourself or destroy your gear installing the air control. He tried to get me to drive 30 minutes to pay a dealer to install it. I bought a Mares BCD and air control with the false assumption that they would not make it hard to install something this basic.

Unless anyone else has had success in installing these fool things I think it would be easier to mail them back to the sellers and go Atomic...

---------- Post added October 21st, 2014 at 07:14 AM ----------

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Repost from another page...[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I bought a Mares Air Control and Mares Hybrid Pure BCD this week. Installation of the Air Control is difficult only because of the lack of decent instructions and Mare's refusal to talk to their customers due to liability reasons.[/FONT]

If you want to avoid wasting time and money on having a "professional" do an install that should take 5 minutes here are the steps (avoiding jargon):

1 - Cut the zip tie holding on the old inflator
2 - Pull the inflator off the hose
3 - Note the cord inside the inflator (this is the tricky part). This cord is what allows you to dump air when you pull on the hose.
4 - On the inflator push in both of the plastic tabs near the end of the inflator that connect to the hose.
5 - A plastic part should slide out with the cord tied to it. Remove the spring - you don't need it unless you put the old inflator back on.
6a - Assuming that you are installing on a Mares BCD do not untie the cord. Slide the plastic part into the supplied adapter it fits into.
6b - If you have a non-Mares BCD u[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ntie the string, store the plastic piece, and use one of the small metal rods and appropriate adapter to reattach the string.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The rest is pretty straight forward - just push the Air Control onto the inflator hose and make sure to attach a new zip tie to hold it in place.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I am not a professional but this is not a hard project. I just refuse to waste an afternoon driving to a Mares Certified Shop and paying another man to do something that I can do myself in 5 minutes. I for one would prefer to understand how my gear works so I can make adjustments and basic repairs in the field. Love the equipment hate the Mares documentation, support and attitude.[/FONT]

I called Mares today. The person that answered would not give any assistance for "liability reasons". I told him that was complete BS since the manual has 6 cryptic illustrations that give you just enough info to kill yourself or destroy your gear installing the air control. He tried to get me to drive 30 minutes to pay a dealer to install it. I bought a Mares BCD and air control with the false assumption that they would not make it hard to install something this basic.

Unless anyone else has had success in installing these fool things I think it would be easier to mail them back to the sellers and go Atomic...

---------- Post added October 21st, 2014 at 07:14 AM ----------

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Repost from another page...[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I bought a Mares Air Control and Mares Hybrid Pure BCD this week. Installation of the Air Control is difficult only because of the lack of decent instructions and Mare's refusal to talk to their customers due to liability reasons.[/FONT]

If you want to avoid wasting time and money on having a "professional" do an install that should take 5 minutes here are the steps (avoiding jargon):

1 - Cut the zip tie holding on the old inflator
2 - Pull the inflator off the hose
3 - Note the cord inside the inflator (this is the tricky part). This cord is what allows you to dump air when you pull on the hose.
4 - On the inflator push in both of the plastic tabs near the end of the inflator that connect to the hose.
5 - A plastic part should slide out with the cord tied to it. Remove the spring - you don't need it unless you put the old inflator back on.
6a - Assuming that you are installing on a Mares BCD do not untie the cord. Slide the plastic part into the supplied adapter it fits into.
6b - If you have a non-Mares BCD u[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ntie the string, store the plastic piece, and use one of the small metal rods and appropriate adapter to reattach the string.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The rest is pretty straight forward - just push the Air Control onto the inflator hose and make sure to attach a new zip tie to hold it in place.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I am not a professional but this is not a hard project. I just refuse to waste an afternoon driving to a Mares Certified Shop and paying another man to do something that I can do myself in 5 minutes. I for one would prefer to understand how my gear works so I can make adjustments and basic repairs in the field. Love the equipment hate the Mares documentation, support and attitude.[/FONT]

Mares make things bullet proof- especially head office windows!

Back
Top Bottom