Insta-Dry, Hyper-Stretch, Gold Core?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a full-body suit soon and am hoping if anyone can provide some advice.

I currently have an old inexpensive shotry (I think it's called Ocean Run or something like that by a Taiwanese company). It had served me well, but when I was at Lembeh Strait last year, I found the water quite cool and that prompted me to start looking for a full length suit.

I have read the posts that basically said fit is the most important factor; which I agree with.

One other factor I am looking for is the length of time it takes the suit to dry. I don't think anyone would enjoy putting on a wetsuit.

So, my question is, does anyone know if the new Insta-Dry suit, or the Hyperstretch or Gold Core suits from Henderson reduces the dry time for the suit?

I think the Insta Dry is beyond my proce range, but if the Hypestretch or the Gold Core offers substantially shorter dry time, I would definitely consider getting them. Otherwise, I might just go cheap and get a suit from Bare or Body Glove. I only dive in warm water when I am on vacation, which is about one or two trips a year, and about 30 -40 dives per year.

I dive with Gold core and Hyperstretch. Based on my experience, gold core is better for a quck dry out because it has a totally different layer between out and in. So, it only takes 10 min~15 min to dry out inner layer, not out layer. If you are talking about a complete dry out in and out, Hyperstrech is better. But, does it matter when you are prepare for the 2nd dive after the surface interval. So, I prefer gold core.

hoosier:
I dive with Gold core and Hyperstretch. Based on my experience, gold core is better for a quck dry out because it has a totally different layer between out and in. So, it only takes 10 min~15 min to dry out inner layer, not out layer. If you are talking about a complete dry out in and out, Hyperstrech is better. But, does it matter when you are prepare for the 2nd dive after the surface interval. So, I prefer gold core.

If your diving warm water that probably means mild or warm air temps too. I kind of enjoy donning a earlier worn wetsuit for a second dive. I find it refreshing on a summers day and it warms up before any harm is done. You also hit the water with better density.

FWIW that's my take.How quick a wetsuit will dry is low on my criteria list.

Pete

Hoosier,

I don't think the outer layer is of much concern to me. So, by the soundo f it, Gold Core sounds like what I need.

Spectrum,
Can't agree with you there. Really don't enjoy putting on a wet wetsuit. I dive mostly in tropical Asian water like Malaysia, INdonesia, and Philippines (even though I live in Canada)

Thanks for the response.

I have the Gold Core in 3mm & 5mm and the Hyperstretch in 3mm & 5mm. I prefer the Hyperstretch. They fit better, are lighter and MUCH easier to get in and out of. The Insta-Dry's are ridiculously priced (IMHO).

HTH,
Dave

If you can afford it try to get the Insta-dry. Obviously it says what it does in the name.... But if not, definatly try the Hyperflex. Are you stuck on getting a Henderson wetsuit? If not, I would look at the ScubaPro wetsuits...

christened my aqua suede in Cozumel last month...great fit/flexibility...remained slightly damp for next day's dives after being hung for approx sixteen hours...however, after 16 dives, suit looks much more aged...large areas of pilling...recently purchased a ScubaPro everflex for local diving...again, great fit/flexibility and appears to be much more durable than hyperflex...

diver69:
But is Gold Core or Hyperstretch really worth the extra $$$ compared to cheaper suits like Bare for just above $100?

In my opinion no. I've had both. The hyperstretch fell apart, neoprene flattened and pilled. The Bare Velocity has about two years of torture (teaching in chlorinated pools without rinsing and sunny tropics in salt water). It was black, it's now light gray, not a single loose thread or seam and highly resistant to pilling from contact with velcro. Save your money and get a better suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom