Inspired by clownfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica

Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Micronesia, but now bubbling i
# of dives
500 - 999
Who doesn't love clownfish? They're colorful, playful and naturally photogenic. They're one of my favorite creatures to photograph and whenever I pass by some playing around their host anemone, I can't help but stop to admire them and of course take photos. And I managed to get Asian Diver magazine interested in publishing some of the shots I've taken over the years -- just sent them some CDs of my favorite shots and they'll put them in an upcoming issue (I think within the next three months). Here are some samples; I've posted these before several months ago, so I apologize if you've seen them before. Had to throw in the last photo, even though it's topside, because it's clownfish-inspired. My nephew darted into an anemonebase-colored Calder sculpture in NYC and I thought he looked like a clownfish -- this shot won in the Culture & The Arts category for Smithsonian Magazine's 2nd Annual photo contest.
http://photocontest.smithsonianmag.com/arts2.html

Happy fishes to all on this 4th of July!

Congratulation on the publication. I love your first shot very much.
Lately I have been trying to get shots of juvenile clownfish but without much success.
How come everybody is getting published in Asian Diver magazine but me :(

Great pictures. One of these days when I have some real money, I will buy a nice camera instead of the WAL-Mart Disposable type. KIDS you know :11ztongue

Thanks ssra and FWBE -- glad you liked the photos.

Tate, you take great photos, it's just a matter of getting an "in" with the magazine. I got my chance when a friend of mine wrote a snorkel review for them and I supplied the photos. I got to know the editors through email and whenever I planned a trip I pitched a story to them. They finally bit after I told them I was going to Ishigaki Island for manta diving, which will be my first story/photos (photos done, check out samples in the Zen Divers/Asia forum, but article to be written hopefully in the next few days). But in the meantime my friend wrote a story on clownfish and asked me to provide the photos. So, if you know anyone who has ties to Asian Diver mag, I would suggest that route. Hmmm, I guess I would count -- let me know and I'll give you some contact info. They generally are looking for dive stories on unusual places (I think they've got all the pygmy seahorse shots from Lembeh to last them a lifetime, so you may want to pitch them a story on someplace that very few people have done one on).

FWBE -- those disposables will take some pretty good photos for snorkeling, and are a good start before deciding you want to dump more cash into the obsession.... I started with a Sealife Reefmaster 1.3 megabyte point and shoot (my avatar is the product of that trusty camera). But I know what you're saying about all that camera eqpt. eating into the wallet. Add the airfare, hotel, food, yadayadayada and it really does add up pretty quickly.

marpacifica:
Thanks ssra and FWBE -- glad you liked the photos.

Tate, you take great photos, it's just a matter of getting an "in" with the magazine. I got my chance when a friend of mine wrote a snorkel review for them and I supplied the photos. I got to know the editors through email and whenever I planned a trip I pitched a story to them. They finally bit after I told them I was going to Ishigaki Island for manta diving, which will be my first story/photos (photos done, check out samples in the Zen Divers/Asia forum, but article to be written hopefully in the next few days). But in the meantime my friend wrote a story on clownfish and asked me to provide the photos. So, if you know anyone who has ties to Asian Diver mag, I would suggest that route. Hmmm, I guess I would count -- let me know and I'll give you some contact info. They generally are looking for dive stories on unusual places (I think they've got all the pygmy seahorse shots from Lembeh to last them a lifetime, so you may want to pitch them a story on someplace that very few people have done one on).

Thanks for the tip and the compliment. One of these days when I feel a bit more secure about my pictures ..... :)
After seeing some of the pictures on wetpixel etc, I think I still have a long way to go. Oh well...it is all in good fun anyhow :wink:
Again, congratulation.

Congrats on your win! Where are we going to spend the money? :wink:

I love clown fish too...too bad we don't have them here...I guess we have to travel... <nudges Turtleguy> :D

Thanks, JL! Yeah, I was pretty psyched when I heard from them. I'm afraid I already spent OUR money on dive equipment though, so next time I swing by Oahu I'll let you use it, ha.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't just released clownfish in HI waters like what's happening in Florida with all the foreign-introduced species like clownfish. I know that's a problem in the islands with those yellow snappers from Tahiti.

And Turtleguy, you'll score big points if you take her on a trip to see clownfish....

Beautiful pics, but I gotta say - when your family starts to look like fish, it may be time to take a day off from diving.

SteveFass:
Beautiful pics, but I gotta say - when your family starts to look like fish, it may be time to take a day off from diving.

Steve,

I laughed my ***** off when I read this. I guess I just need to find another job in Micronesia to get my diving fix rather than just dream about diving when I'm stuck on the mainland.

Mike, thanks for the compliment. Coming from you, Mr. Asian Diver Cover Man, that means a lot.

Marlo

Back
Top Bottom