Inspiration death number 18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa3

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, can anybody confirm or deny reports I have found of yet another Inspiration fatality?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I've just heard a rumour from a diving instructor in the
Philippines that last week an Inspiration diver died while diving in the
Tubbataha reef (Sulu Sea) in the Philippines.
I've got no additional info (name, circumstances, etc.) other than that it
supposedly happened.
Anybody around that can confirm or deny this one or knows more?

Lisa.

Rumour only at present and it would be number 17 if true

Nobody on the Inspiration lists knows anything about it.

Sad if true but makes me angry that 1 rumour of a rebreather death and all the forums light up, but there has been at least 5 open circuit fatalities this month alone and nobody says a thing

Well we do talk about 'em a lot. Not sure why you have missed these threads.

Has a statistical analysis been done on this? It seeks to me that there are a high number of deaths compared to how many actually dive it. I can't iamagine that more than 1/2 of %1 use this equipment. Are there this many deaths with other rebreathers? I have always thought that I would eventually migrate to using a rebreather, but all these deaths scare me.

droppping out the draegers (whicj there have been deaths on) all other rebreathers added together don't come anywhere near the number of people diving the turtle..

since AP wount supply numbers best guess is that there are about 5k active inspirations out there..

Most turtle divers are very active and tend to be pushing limits and doing dives that are inherently riskier.. its not uncommon for an experienced inspiration diver doing 50m-70m divers with 60 minute bottom times(over 2 hour run times), not very common for OC divers.. I know I have done my share of dives with over 3 hours run time..

There are also way to many divers pushing the scrubber well beyond manufacturers limits, its not uncommon to hear I'm getting 5 or 6 hours on my scrubber, thats just asking for trouble.

as for the other rbs out there here are some of the numbers I have heard for units produced (remeber this is just hearsay)

megladon 25
prism under 100
azimuth few hundred
rb80 under 100 (I think thats very generous)
MK15(and kin) heard all sorts of numbers ranging from a few hundred to 1000, I have been told of only 1 death, I originally wasn't aware of any..
frog ??? but not many
KISS unknown but mostly homebuilders who generally know their units and don't push things.. besides it cant operate at the depths the electronic CCRs can.
Infinito 100+ military, commercial and those evaluating the unit. I hear its been used to over 250m

most of the deaths occurred very early on, relativey few in the recent past.. this is probably due to better training but alot of divers are still pushing beyond their training limits. I would like to see a pressure transducer added to the inspiration that would lock out use beyond what you were trained for(would help me sell classes also :wink: ).. Cis-lunar did something like this locking out unit features until the diver was qualified to use them..

There are many more OC divers dying on much easier dives. but the diver should still enter the water with the attitude this device can kill me at any time.. know your options and be prepared to use them..

The most dangerous issue (even worse than hypoxia) since its more likely is hypercapnia.. your judgement gets so clouded that the correct choice may not be made.. Most divers refuse to accept that its that serious of an issue and until you have experienced the effects first hand its probably discounted.

one of the deaths the guy admitted to another person that he was getting 10 hours on his 3 hour scrubber.... Darwin at work... In the US I can only think of two deaths, 1 shouldn't attrbuted to the unit he dies in a chamber more than 6 hours later after blowing a massive amount of deco and 1 that no info has been posted and the guy was solo so its doubtful we can find out what happened.. in fact many of the deaths have been solo dives so anything that is posted is sheer speculation.

Look at madmole's site he has a breakdown of whats publicly known.

The one thing that scares me personally is when another RB diver is not available I will generally solo, and large pelagics can be a problem.. There are no bubbles to scare sharks and on more than 1 occasion I have had encounters that made me nervous.. with a second set of eyes you can look out for each other.

padiscubapro once bubbled...

The one thing that scares me personally is when another RB diver is not available I will generally solo, and large pelagics can be a problem.. There are no bubbles to scare sharks and on more than 1 occasion I have had encounters that made me nervous.. with a second set of eyes you can look out for each other.

I am quite willing to believe that there is overkill with regard to BI deaths and on Madmoles site he points out that many are solo divers and personal stupidity is a main cause.

You say that students are diving beyond their limits. But then you yourself admit to diving solo and this then condones solo diving to those impressionable students you teach.

It seems to me that BI divers have testosterone deficiency when I hear such talk.

Lunacy, pure Lunacy

WL

wetlettuce once bubbled...

I am quite willing to believe that there is overkill with regard to BI deaths and on Madmoles site he points out that many are solo divers and personal stupidity is a main cause.

You say that students are diving beyond their limits. But then you yourself admit to diving solo and this then condones solo diving to those impressionable students you teach.

It seems to me that BI divers have testosterone deficiency when I hear such talk.

Lunacy, pure Lunacy

WL

Personally I don't have a problem with solo diving for those TRAINED, equipped and experienced in such. When trying to enjoy myself I will always try and buddy up with another RB diver, unless I am teaching I like to avoid noisy OC divers, they ruin the experience. there is a big difference between someone with a few hundred dives and someone with a few thousand. also someone without extensive RB experience should not be solo diving.. I make it extremely clear to everyone I teach even especially those who are used to diving solo..

Conditions also play a big factor in whether or not to solo dive.. If I can't bring everything I need to be self sufficient with me solo is out of the question.. in warm water where viz is very good I don't generally range beyond where others can see me unless its prearranged..
Madmole has a pic of my rig on his site and a full breakdown will be shown on JWB's rebreathers worldwide..

as you can see I left nothing to chance, I have plenty of onboard bailout with whips on everything, regs on long hoses to donate to others and at times I'll still carry slings..

I have hundreds of OC and CCR solo dives so am quite confortable with being self sufficient, but if a qualified buddy is available I'll ALWAYS chose to dive with a buddy.

I have heard there was a fatality last week on an Azimuth in eastern PA. Anyone have any information?

Rec2Tek...the fatality last week that you were referring about was Dan Myer. He died during a dive at Willow Springs, in Myerstown PA, last Thursday. I'm pretty sure he had an Azimuth Rebreather, but I did not hear from anyone if he was using it during that dive. Here is a link to an email from his brother Mark who is a manager at the local LDS about the incident.

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=703270&t=703270

As per this email, Mark looked at the equipment quickly and did not find any problems. At this point it is not known wether it was an equipment problem or an unknown health problem. I will post info. as I find out.

OK, we have about 5000 Yellow side divers. From the Inspiration users survey, they are averaging 70 dives a year to 50m. The Inspiration has been around for 5 (nearly 6 years) so allowing for a log progression of 100 units in early 97 to 5000 units today we have about 1 million dives done on the Inspiration so far

There have been 16 confirmed fatalities on the unit in that time so that makes the incident rate about 1 in 60,000 dives a, figure which compares well with statistics for OC

Like all incidents there is a cause and reason each time. Some have been natural causes. Most have been due to bad practice by the wearer (some we just dont know)

Me and PadiScubapro agree on most things but solo diving on a rebreather is one I disagree with and wont do. I have no qualms doing so on OC. But RB redundancy to me includes carrying a spare brain and body

madmole once bubbled...
OK, we have about 5000 Yellow side divers. From the Inspiration users survey, they are averaging 70 dives a year to 50m. The Inspiration has been around for 5 (nearly 6 years) so allowing for a log progression of 100 units in early 97 to 5000 units today we have about 1 million dives done on the Inspiration so far

There have been 16 confirmed fatalities on the unit in that time so that makes the incident rate about 1 in 60,000 dives a, figure which compares well with statistics for OC

Like all incidents there is a cause and reason each time. Some have been natural causes. Most have been due to bad practice by the wearer (some we just dont know)

Me and PadiScubapro agree on most things but solo diving on a rebreather is one I disagree with and wont do. I have no qualms doing so on OC. But RB redundancy to me includes carrying a spare brain and body

I didn't take on solo diving on the Inspiration lightly... I probably had at least 200 hours on the unit before I did my first true solo dive.. I have been diving OC solo for many years but when I switched to the Inspiration I waited until all my responses were automatic and that takes time.. I had to start thinking like a ccr diver.. Your response to emergency situations has to be automatic.. I think the only way that can happen is to totally abandoning OC until a rebreather is your natural way of diving..

When on vacation I tend to do lots of photography and by nature thats a solo gig..

Back
Top Bottom