Input on Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
:D

I am booked on the Odyssea (new boat built in April of this year) and will spending time in Raja Ampat. This is my first time in that area. I know this is a large area, but what type of diving can I expect? What areas should I make a point of diving?

Any info is appreciated.

Hi Allison. In your note you didn't say where the new boat was departing from. We dived Raja Ampat on the Temu Kira out of Sorong. I wrote a trip report but when the board it was hosted on blew up, the report was slightly messed up. The link is here: There's a few odd characters in it but it's readable. There's lots of pictures.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2843

Have fun. You should have a great trip. A friend of mine is diving from that same boat this December. His name is Ken and he's the owner of Ultimate Dive Travel. He's going down to check out the boat before he books clients on it. You may want to give him a shout in January or check his site for info on the boat when he gets back.

Sandra

Allison Finch:
:D

I am booked on the Odyssea (new boat built in April of this year) and will spending time in Raja Ampat. This is my first time in that area. I know this is a large area, but what type of diving can I expect? What areas should I make a point of diving?

Any info is appreciated.

I dived for a good 3 weeks all around Waigeo in Raja Ampat and the diving was varied and very good. There's ALL sorts of diving; drift dives, muck dives, high voltage current dives, pinnacle dives, wall dives and wreck dives. Some sites are very shallow and easy, others had deep drop-offs and sometimes raging currents.One thing all sites had in common was that the marine life in general was outstanding with healthy coral growth, lots of fish and great critters. It's in my opnion not the best place for in-experienced divers or divers that are easily spooked by current.:D

Good to hear there are some high current dives. Although they are a bi#$h to photograph in, the big critters will, likely, be there. Do the locals advocate the use of reef hooks or do they drift?

Allison Finch:
Good to hear there are some high current dives. Although they are a bi#$h to photograph in, the big critters will, likely, be there. Do the locals advocate the use of reef hooks or do they drift?

I brought a reef hook but didn't use it all that often. The people I dived with didn't have any problems with reef hooks but were no locals; I was on a private charter boat.
In Irian Jaya some of the reefs are SO alive that it's hard to find a dead piece of coral or barren rock to put your reef hook in. Fortunately lots of coral heads big enough to "shelter" behind for a while or some "eddies" where one could take a break and gain ones breath.
You should bring your reef hook but be very careful where to hook in.:D

i'll be on the pindito in february(raja ampat, mosool intinerary) and it's my understanding, no reef hooks permitted. when diving with strong currents; drift and go with the flow,,,,,reef hooks are damaging in my view(palau is a prime example!!), and should be excluded from all recreational diving,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

reefman:
reef hooks are damaging in my view(palau is a prime example!!), and should be excluded from all recreational diving,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reef hooks will ONLY then damage the reef if divers are not careful with them and hook themselves into live coral or just above a live coral area. It's the same with the no-glove allowed rule; careful divers with gloves will not kill any more coral than divers without gloves. Unfortunately VERY few divers seem to know the difference between live and dead hard coral and just hold on/touch anything they can.:D

I don't like the use of reef hooks, personally. Some dive boats do use them, however. If they do, everyone has to use them or you will be too far away from others and the boat. I also feel that it is too hard to avoid damaging the reef. You can tell when diving an area that has seen much hook use (like Blue Corner). The damage is obvious.

Hi, I dived Raja Ampat last April on the Temukira. It was fantastic although there were not a lot of large pelagics. However, the massive amounts of everything else and the mostly pristine coral more than made up fot it. All dives were drift dives (no hooks) with the tender just picking you up wherever you surfaced. I wrote an article about the trip so PM me with your email address if you would like a copy.

I also spent a few days at Lembeh Resort on the way back. Is that where you are intending to stay?

Regards

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom