Inon Z330 strobe light shade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STIDVC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys!

Long time viewer first time thread starter here so here it goes!

I recently bought an Inon Z330 and had a few dives with it. Upon trying to clean my unit, I found that the strobe light shade is removable, but after combing through the user manual and some videos on YouTube, I found that my light shade barely even moved when twisted counter-clockwise.

I believe that the salt has been so caked/crystallised so bad till it got stuck. Currently, I am soaking it in lukewarm water and am on day two but still to no avail. Anyone experienced this before ? What have you done to remedy this ? Or am I such an idiot that I’m missing some sort of release button?!

Cheers,
The Big D

Hmmm, I used my Z-330s on Saturday and I'm pretty certain they rotated smoothly in both directions. I'll take a look again tonight to see if I was just not really paying attention to the rotation direction. They still don't rotate counter-clockwise after you've removed and replaced them?

Probably some sand or similar grit
The large black ring around it unscrews. Take that off, it comes apart, and you can clean the whole mechanism.

Hmmm, I used my Z-330s on Saturday and I'm pretty certain they rotated smoothly in both directions. I'll take a look again tonight to see if I was just not really paying attention to the rotation direction. They still don't rotate counter-clockwise after you've removed and replaced them?

Apologies if I was unclear, what I meant was that the entire cover doesn’t unscrew. It rotates perfectly fine, it just isn’t removable.

Probably some sand or similar grit
The large black ring around it unscrews. Take that off, it comes apart, and you can clean the whole mechanism.

Yep, tried that to no avail, I suspect sand as well as it has a slight ‘crunchy’ sound when I was trying to remove it but I don’t want to force it open unless it is a last resort

Sounds like sand to me. Maybe dribble some diluted dish washing soap into the crack for lube. Use sticky rubber gloves to get a good grip without too much squishing force. I'd use the arms, clamp the body and arm between my legs and use both hand making a large circle around the ring. The black ring is somewhat flexible so it's easy to smash it down with a pinch grip.

Sounds like sand to me. Maybe dribble some diluted dish washing soap into the crack for lube. Use sticky rubber gloves to get a good grip without too much squishing force. I'd use the arms, clamp the body and arm between my legs and use both hand making a large circle around the ring. The black ring is somewhat flexible so it's easy to smash it down with a pinch grip.

i'll give it a try when i get home, thanks for the tip. Just to be clear, the ring that unscrews is the larger ring with the grooves?
StXr2ip

Attachments

• in-z330_1.jpg
    in-z330_1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 139
Just be careful to not squeeze too much. The ring should turn quite easily but if you squeeze it is quite tough to get to open.
Not a terribly good design IMHO, many folks have had the same problem and trying to do it underwater is not possible for me at least.
Bill

Just be careful to not squeeze too much. The ring should turn quite easily but if you squeeze it is quite tough to get to open.
Not a terribly good design IMHO, many folks have had the same problem and trying to do it underwater is not possible for me at least.
Bill
Hiya Bill, thanks for your reply. Tried to no avail, its jammed tight :(

I got mine off with a strap wrench and lots of torque, once I did that I fixed it by removing the post that keeps the big ring stationary.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom