Inon Z330 and Snoot opinion please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of buying a Z330 but I'd like to use it for snoot. No, I can't afford Retra strobe.

1) Is the focus light on the Z330 strong enough to see with a snoot on it?
(My YS-01 is not)

2) Does anyone know if the Bar10 or Retra Strobe for the Z330 are easy to take off and on during a dive? (Would I be stuck with only using it as a snoot if I went with these options?)

3) Anyone ever try the flipsnoot on the z330? It says they've corrected for the off center focus light?

TIA in advance!

The 10bar is not great and not easy to remove from the 330. Also not very accurate.

Save your self the trouble and buy the Backscatter Mini+Snoot combo. It's the best snoot setup available IMHO.

I'm more focused on a versatile strobe where I can shoot wide angle and macro than I am snooting. My snoot time is about 10-15% of what I shoot. The backscatter strobe doesn't seem that impressive compared to the Inon Z330. Thanks for the thoughts on the 10Bar.

I have a pair of 330's, and use them for wide angle shoots. I bought the Backscatter a year ago on a killer sale ($315 for the combo). I like it so much that I almost always shoot macro with one 330 and the Backscatter Snoot. I put the snoot on a little lanyard so I can pop it off when needed. But I usually shoot with the snoot unless the subject is free swimming, like a tiny jelly, etc.

I have a pair of 330's, and use them for wide angle shoots. I bought the Backscatter a year ago on a killer sale ($315 for the combo). I like it so much that I almost always shoot macro with one 330 and the Backscatter Snoot. I put the snoot on a little lanyard so I can pop it off when needed. But I usually shoot with the snoot unless the subject is free swimming, like a tiny jelly, etc.

Thanks! Great thoughts! Love the idea of the lanyard. If you could only afford one and you currently owned a YS-01 (GH 20, 100°) would you upgrade to the Z330 or the backscatter? If you picked backscatter you'd dive with the YS-01 strobe with backscatter. If you picked the Z330 you'd own the Z330 and YS-01.

Tough call. For macro dives I would get the Backscatter; I have the 330 also and use them when I shoot wide (very rarely) and use one plus the BS for most other dives
Bill

Tough call. For macro dives I would get the Backscatter; I have the 330 also and use them when I shoot wide (very rarely) and use one plus the BS for most other dives
Bill
Hum...you got me thinking. I was thinking that I would need to upgrade my strobe when I asked, but now perhaps my focus was off. I guess I was thinking that upgrading the strobe would allow me to have less frustration on those large fish, large marine critters.

Thanks! Great thoughts! Love the idea of the lanyard. If you could only afford one and you currently owned a YS-01 (GH 20, 100°) would you upgrade to the Z330 or the backscatter? If you picked backscatter you'd dive with the YS-01 strobe with backscatter. If you picked the Z330 you'd own the Z330 and YS-01.

I suggest keeping the YS-01 and get the Backscatter MF1+Snoot.
You'll add more flexibility to your current setup and learn something new.

Get a pair of Z330's or Retra's if you ever find someone selling them used.
With a Fisheye lens you'll be set for great Wide Angle shots.
Then sell the YS-01.

Thanks davehicks! Great thoughts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom