INON z240 settings for Sony RX100V/Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stokes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's my first venture into underwater photography. Ive had my Sony RX100V in a Nauticam housing and Wet Wide Angle lens for about a year and mainly used it for video, using ambient light most of the time. In rare occasions, I turn on the pair of Sola 2500F 90deg lights that attach to the ball adaptors on the handles.

Recently got a pair of Inon Z240s, Nautucam CMC2 for a liveaboard trip that will have opportunity for macro photography and wide angle lens photography.

Appreciate tips on arm lengths, strobe settings, strobe positioning and recommended camera settings for both macro and wide angle photography.

Thanks in advance.

Basically there combinations are "infinite"... depending of the pictures you want to take.
However on a general note:

- Longest (and splitted) arms the better: it means you can position the lights further away (reducing or eliminating the back scattering) when needed (wide shoots) or near (macro). Downside is: longest they are, more cumbersome it became the rig. You need to find your compromise. I use arms that can extend up to 1.2m per side, I believe it is a good compromise.

- Strobe settings: TTL underwater is a big meh. However you will start with this and eventually changing the compensation (with the 240 you can offset the light while remaining in TTL) until you find the good shots (more or less light).. then moving progressively to full manual when you have enough experience to know in advance how much light you need for that specific picture with that specific settings.

- Camera settings: same as above. You will start with auto settings, moving progressively to manual (the RX100 is a compact camera but with many desired manual settings), first by adjusting the aperture and then both the aperture and shutter speed (however the RX100M5 does a great job with shutter speed set to auto and ISO limiting feature).

This, in combination with a strobe set to manual requires a lot of experience and "tests"... with more shoots you'll become better. Underwater photography is technical similar to the "ground" one... however the key is the time: you don't have infinite time to shot a subject, you cannot stay still in the water, often what you do and where you do depend of other people (unless you're a dedicate photographer with a staff assisting you).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom