Inon Z-240 Type 4 with Nikon D800 vs Olympus TG-5 vs Sony RX100 V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crabtree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow divers, I would like to get your recommendations on which camera I should use with Inon Z-240 Type 4.

My question sounds weird, I know. Let me explain.

I bought my Inon Z-240 Type 4 strobe back in 2011, thinking I can use it with my basic Canon IXUS960IS compact camera. However, the flash recycling time of the compact was too slowly to take any meaningful photos.

At that time I had no budget for a new camera and housing, so the strobe has been sitting in the corner since.

Fast forward to today, I’d like to start doing underwater photography thus I’m considering what the options are.

I own a Nikon D800 (I’m an enthusiast “land” photographer). I understand the D800 is a completely different class of camera to the TG-5 and RX100, but the housing is too expensive and I can’t justify it given the amount of photos I’d take, not to mention the additional lens/ports I also need to buy.

So I’m thinking maybe I’d get a new Olympus TG-5 or Sony RX100 V (possibly VI by the time I make the purchase) and its respective housing.

Will the TG-5 or the RX100 V be sufficient, in terms of triggering the strobe? I saw that the RX100 V flash recycling from max output is 3.1 seconds. Can’t seem to find anything yet.

Or is my thinking wrong, ie., I should stick to the D800 (but I will need to put off the purchase as I’d need to save up).

Crabtree - You really have TWO questions - one is about your strobe working & recycle time. The other (unstated) is will you be happy? ("Or is my thinking wrong...") I can't answer the technical strobe question...

I did something similar - went from my DSLR to a lesser compact in the water. The strobe recycle time was only part of the frustration - the focus tracking and shutter lag were the other. I upgraded twice. Now I'm back to deciding DSLR or Full Frame and what housing.

My very experienced u/w photo mentor took me out shooting with his Nikon D500 (Isotta housing) yesterday, as well as his D610 (Ikelite housing). One Macro (60mm), the other Wide Angle (6-125). Choices, choices. His words of wisdom were that he skimped on the D610 housing - and found himself missing shots in Tubbataha Park (only open 3 months a year, a long waiting list for liveaboard reservations). His regret was not spending more on the housing - and it's what caused him to buy the D500 setup. To him, this was a smaller expenditure spread over the course of thousands of shots, several years - and the trips are more expensive. Maybe if you are in Taiwan the trips are not so expensive as they are for us LOL!

So there you have it - this is a slippery slope. That D800 is amazing in the water from what I hear. Will you be happy with a slow, lesser camera in the water?

Try to borrow a friend's Olympus on land first. And I would also try to rent an underwater setup for a day - it shouldn't be too expensive. That will help you understand if you like the cameras - then you can figure out the strobe. Or possibly if you are lucky, try it with the rental gear.

That's kind of my plan - I am thinking to rent a Canon 5D Mark III and see what I think before I invest.

Hope it helps.

TG-5 and Sony RX100 V are completely different class of cameras.

I bought a Sony RX100 II for underwater shooting last year. Extremely happy with it. Really sharp images. No problem with the flash recycling time for the type of shooting I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom