Inon Viewfinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariozi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I am considering buying one of those Inon Viewfinders for my Sea&Sea MDX-D300 housing. But I have never even seen one live, only in web pictures...
What do you have to say about it? What is bad about them?
Which one should I choose, the 180 or the 45?

Thanks, Merry XMas...

Still not back from my trip yet and in transit in Istanbul. Sorry for not replying to your PM earlier.... IMHO, they both have their moments when they either excel or make you wonder why you made that decision. I have the 45 degree viewfinder. To be honest, I think I would go for the straight after using the 45 degree viewfinder for a while. The angled viewfinder is easy to use when doing WA and macro (with the 60mm lens on a cropped sensor camera like the D300). Subject acquisition is easy enough and the 45 degree angle ensures that you naturally shoot upwards (which is better for composition in most cases). I love the ability to get low on subjects without any trouble and to get under overhangs and ledges. However, using a longer 105 lens or doing ANY kind of macro greater than 1:1 will frustrate you. I spent so much time hunting for my subjects when using the 105 with an Inon diopter. Even just with the 105mm lens alone proved quite a challenge. If there is a surge, forget it. At times like that, I wished I had bought a straight viewfinder instead. I know that if I do use a straight, I may probably find myself wishing for the angled viewfinders at times.....however, the more natural point and framing of subjects using the straight seems to be much more beneficial. THe downside to the 180 is transportation and handling. It is advised to leave the viewfinder on at all times. The divervision/Fun-in models CAN be self installed easily and removed. However, the retailers advise leaving it on the housing and either pressure testing or diving without the camera for the first dive. The 45 degree viewfinder is a lot smaller and easier to pack.

I use the Inon 180 on my Seatool D300, and have no complaints at all. I had the GS viewfinder on my last 2 housings (Subal) and I think that the Inon is on par with them. I also like the fact that I can remove it for travel. On my first dive after putting it on I watch my housing VERY closely the first dive...then forget about it the rest of the trip. I say.....Go fo it!

Dave

I have the 45 degree finder on my Aquatica and love it - for WA, 50mm macro and 100mm macro use.

It takes a little bit of time to get used to framing with the angled finder, especially with a long macro lens. But the ergonomic comfort of being able to look down at the finder - even when the camera is crammed low against the ground and pointing up - is worth it. Personally, there is NO way I'd ever use a straight finder - it defeats the entire convenience factor.

This is the best upgrade I have made to my rig. Cannot recommend it enough!

Vandit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom