Inon UWL-H100 or UWL-100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abhijit Roy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi gurus,

I use a sony a6000 with 16-50mm stock lens with Meikon dome for my underwater pictures. I am planning to go Bahamas to take picture of the hammerheads and wondering if I should invest on wide-angle to get those close up shots.

As I was researching, I found the inon UWL-100 and UWL-H100 are the two wet lenses but I am not sure which one is compatible with Sony a6000.

Can someone please help? Also how much wider is the result if I use UWL lense vs my 16mm with dome?

Thanks again!

Hi gurus,

I use a sony a6000 with 16-50mm stock lens with Meikon dome for my underwater pictures. I am planning to go Bahamas to take picture of the hammerheads and wondering if I should invest on wide-angle to get those close up shots.

As I was researching, I found the inon UWL-100 and UWL-H100 are the two wet lenses but I am not sure which one is compatible with Sony a6000.

Can someone please help? Also how much wider is the result if I use UWL lense vs my 16mm with dome?

Thanks again!
I shoot an A6000 underwater, but I think that you might be asking the wrong question. I think (and I could very well be wrong) the question that you should be asking is if those wide angle lenses will work with your Meikon housing.

Does the housing use a standard 67mm front thread?

Here is an article that you may find informative.
Here is another one.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Does the housing use a standard 67mm front thread?

All three Meikon housings that fit the A6000 have 67mm threads, either natively (the old A6000 housing, and the fixed-port A6xxx housing from 2017), or via add-on port (A6xxx Salted Line housing).

However, Inon has a large and complex compatibility chart, which, unfortunately, only features Sony's compact cameras, not Alpha ILCs, so it's a valid question whether the OP needs UWL-100, UWL-H100, UWL-S100, or something else.

All three Meikon housings that fit the A6000 have 67mm threads, either natively (the old A6000 housing, and the fixed-port A6xxx housing from 2017), or via add-on port (A6xxx Salted Line housing).

However, Inon has a large and complex compatibility chart, which, unfortunately, only features Sony's compact cameras, not Alpha ILCs, so it's a valid question whether the OP needs UWL-100, UWL-H100, UWL-S100, or something else.

Thanks! Thats exactly my dilemma is. My current Meikon housing has 67mm port. So, the lens should fit. But Inon has a few variations of their UWL-100 line, and their description is not clear enough (at least for me!) to understand the compatibility. And their compatibility chart doesn't list the Sony Alphas.
I couldn't find any Inon Customer email to ask on their website :-(

On the other hand, I can go to the new Meikon housing that supports 10-18mm but that adds significant outbound cash flow LOL.

So, any ideas/experience will help this confused soul :)

Happy holidays.....

Hoag's second link has samples of UWL-09F and UWL-H100 with Sony 16-50mm, so it's a fairly safe bet that these two will work. Nauticam WWL-1 is another option, albeit an expensive one, but unlike Inon's lenses, which, as I understand, only work at specific focal length, WWL-1 has full zoom-through capability, which adds flexibility to your framing.

Regarding angles of view - 16mm behind dome gives you 84 degrees diagonal AoV; UWL-H100 without dome gives 100 degrees, 10-18mm behind dome gives 110 degrees at its widest setting, UWL-H100 with additional dome unit gives 130 degrees, Nauticam WWL-1 also gives 130 degrees. In more applied terms, shooting from 50cm away, WWL-1 or UWL-H100+dome will fit a 170cm wide subject into the frame, 10-18mm lens (at 10mm) will manage 120cm, UWL-H100 without dome will give 100cm frame width, and 16mm with dome will be limited to a 75cm wide subject. Keep in mind that with these extreme wide angles, distortion will be quite significant.

From the first article that I posted a link to:
upload_2018-12-25_15-25-55.png

I would read that as saying that if you zoom your kit lens to approx 28mm, you should be fine with this option.

Here is something that you might find interesting, or maybe even useful. The Inon UWL-H100 with a dome is on a Boxing Day Sale right now. The nice thing about buying from Mozaik is that it is a family run business. When you go to the link, you will get a pop-up chat window and you can ask "Erik" about if this is the right lens for your set up. Either Ran or Tal will likely come on (They are the owners of Mozaik.) and they will make sure that you get what is right for you.

Here is something that you might find interesting, or maybe even useful. The Inon UWL-H100 with a dome is on a Boxing Day Sale right now. The nice thing about buying from Mozaik is that it is a family run business. When you go to the link, you will get a pop-up chat window and you can ask "Erik" about if this is the right lens for your set up. Either Ran or Tal will likely come on (They are the owners of Mozaik.) and they will make sure that you get what is right for you.

Thanks! I started thinking based on your & Barmaglot's comments and I think I gonna go with 10-18mm. It will keep the set up simpler on similar price point. Also I think less glass between the subject and the sensor will probably help too.

Thanks! I started thinking based on your & Barmaglot's comments and I think I gonna go with 10-18mm. It will keep the set up simpler on similar price point. Also I think less glass between the subject and the sensor will probably help too.
I have the 10-18 (and a Nauticam housing/Port) and I love it. It is an outstanding lens.

FWIW, underwater, I don't use it as a zoom. I just back it off to 10mm and if I need to, I wil crop in post when I get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom