Inon or Ike for 5060

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi again,

My C5060 and PT-020 housing are >1yr-old and am now trying to upgrade my set-up. I plan to buy a strobe and arm plus (if my budget will allow it and if people recommend it) a spare housing for 5060. I am still happy with my 5060 and am always praying that it would survive at least another year however, in the far future, I might upgrade to a dslr or a faster camera with a higher resolution.

I think my PT-020 is still in good working order but lately I noticed minute crystal deposits or sediment on the button o-rings that don’t dissolve even after fresh water soaking. I have read the digitaldiver article on the Oly PT-015 housing maintenance but I’m afraid to “dismantle” the housing and have no access to button O-rings. I have also read several disconcerting reports about the PT-020 being prone to flooding and so I’m toying with the idea of getting a newer housing before this even happens.

Right now I’m choosing between these 2 set-ups for my 5060;

• PT-020 or PT-027 (in case my 5060 gets destroyed and I need to change to 7070)
• Inon D2000W (w/ inon optical cable, z adapter and diffuser),
• ULCS or Inon tray and arms (if I can’t get ULCS arms)

OR
• Ikelite 5060 housing
• Ikelite DS50 strobe (with tray and handle) with TTL sync cord and EV manual controller
• ULCS or Ike arms

I also plan to buy an Inon UCL165 M67 macro lens but it was mentioned in a previous thread that the newer, smaller Oly housings may not support this lens in the future (which may be a problem if I change the camera).

For the strobe, I would like something with both manual and TTL (or sTTL) control plus, it should be compatible with dslr (and do TTL/sTTL) in case I eventually upgrade my camera.

Which set-up would you recommend for me (I’m guessing that these 2 systems will be similarly priced)? My dilemma is that I am partial to the Inon D2000w because it doesn’t require an additional manual controller and because it might be less prone to flooding. However, the Ike housing seems to be sturdier and more secure than the PT-020. Can you use the Inon strobe with Ike housing and will the STTL function of D2000w work with the Ike housing? I’ve been struggling with this dilemma for some time now and the more options I consider, the more confused I get. Any suggestions or opinions will be very helpful right now.

Regards,

Cathy

Ps. Or would it be less of an ordeal to just change the housing and camera if or when it floods?

Back
Top Bottom