Inner ear fistula repair in UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeG65

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
I have a suspected inner ear fistula - long story but happened after diving in the US, initial thoughts inner ear decompression sickness but ruled out after hyperbaric chamber sessions resulted in only minor improvement. 10 days later symptoms (bad vertigo, sensineural hearing loss, tinnitus in right ear) remain. Had been taking prednisone and meclizine. Meclizine improves symptoms of vertigo only a bit. I had an MRI, thankfully stroke ruled out. Audiogram test showed significant high frequency loss in right ear. But my nystagmus is to the (we assume) affected (right) ear side which they said was odd, usually the other way round. ENT surgeon in US thought fistula, ER doc not entirely sure. Both very experienced in a hospital with diving experienced medics. ENT surgeon offered op that day to look and if appropriate to repair fistula. I flew home as was not sure how long recovery would take and needed to be back home, was given fit to fly letter (as pressures in chamber more than flight and I had no equalising problems). I am seeing a UK ENT surgeon Monday.
My question is, has anyone had fistula repair in UK and is it something ENT surgeons do here? It may heal on its own but my worry is that I will never know as I understand that over a couple of weeks the brain compensates for balance - so that if it happens to the other ear I'd have permanent vertigo. Thanks for any experience, thoughts and advice!

Mike, I recommend you contact the London Diving Chamber:

Decompression chamber / Hyperbaric chamber for divers with the bends / decompression illness, London Recompression & Hyperbaric facilities - The London Diving Chamber

Since they do diving medical examinations and treat divers I'm sure they would have a recommendation for a local ENT surgeon for you. I don't think the surgery is unique to the US. They offered surgery right away in the US because surgery within 24 hours of a fistulating barotrauma offers the most chance of full recovery (and is the only definitive way to diagnose one) so you may hear from the ENT that it's too late for surgery to be of any benefit, but perhaps not.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom