Inland Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know there are a lot of wreck diving on the ocean. however there are some people who cant afford to go to the ocean and go wreck diving. Does anyone know of any good wreck diving here in the US with out going to the ocean e.g. Lakes, Rivers etc.

The thousand islands region of New York/Canada on the St Lawrence river has some of the most amazing wreck diving around.

Kristopher

Any of the five Great Lakes has excellent shipwreck sites. By one estimate there are 5,000 shipwrecks in the Great Lakes, of which a couple of hundred are in diveable locations.

I was making this thread in hopes that some people will post some of the wreck diving that they have done inland either both USA and internationally as well. If anyone has any good wreck sites dont hesitate to post them.

Some of my favorites are the Madeira and the Hesper, along the north shore of Lake Superior, about an hour north of Duluth, Minnesota, and the America, at Isle Royale National Park. Awesome wrecks and the water is really clear. But pretty cold, so pack a dry suit.

Some of my favorites are the Madeira and the Hesper, along the north shore of Lake Superior, about an hour north of Duluth, Minnesota, and the America, at Isle Royale National Park. Awesome wrecks and the water is really clear. But pretty cold, so pack a dry suit.

I have heard those are some very interesting wrecks, Ill have to make it out there this upcoming summer.

You can shore dive some of the wrecks in the St. Lawrence. There are wrecks in Lake Champlain in Vermont and Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Tons of wrecks in the great lakes. How any of that compares price-wise to diving the wrecks in someplace like North Carolina, I'm not sure. But there's lots of opportunities in fresh water.

Its cheaper to dive Canada/St Lawrence, and the wrecks are more intact than NC. The boat rides are way shorter as well. We ran Kingston to "The City of Sheboygan" in around 40 minutes, versus 90 minutes to 2 hours for most NC wrecks. From where I live, Kingston and NC are equa-distant, so it becomes a a question of sharks and marine life versus intact schooners. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom