Inheriting my dad's early '90s equipment - safe? How to check it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I'll have to become a little less ignorant about how the first stage is connected to other things. I figured I'd let the dive shop do it all and choose what fits since I'm still new to this. The console does have a compass on the other side which would be a benefit of keeping the boot with the two display areas. My computer would take care of depth I assume. Do people typically carry an analogue depth gauge and a computer?

As GriffenK mentioned, people don't usually carry both, usually one or the other. The spg hose just screws in the first stage, there is no trick there. The high pressure and low pressure ports are different so there is no way you can make a mistake. Here is a video.

The only advantages to a boot is that all the information is in one spot and you cannot loose or forget anything. If you decide to keep it then I would recommend getting a bolt snap so you can clip it to your BC. If the HP hose is bad then you make want a shorter one. Your gear looks like it is from the late-80s or early-90s. Back then it was common for divers to let the boot dangle and bounce up and down on the reef. As you can imagine that is not really considered acceptable anymore although some people still do it. I surprised the compass is still good. Usually they develop bubbles.

Back on this thread. Service complete, went for the SPG with bar and psi, ditched the old console. Is it worth trying to re-mount the compass into a wrist strap or something?Any ideas of a mount that would fit? Anyone know anything about it? It was paired with Oceanic gauges. Purchased 1986.

203B57C3-A0A9-47A7-8C0C-2A1C196BEA3F.jpeg

3E2C2076-EDDF-4CFD-81EE-30F36C5A2AAA.jpeg

There are fairly inexpensive wrist mounts available for that compass. Call Northeast Scuba Supply (in PA); I know John Allen stocks them (or used to). Failing that, try Dive Right In Scuba (in IL).

FD396814-78C8-4FC9-B399-DC6EA3F8F1B0.jpeg
[fyi I know you’re not supposed to leave a tank like this, I put it on the ground after the photo]

UPDATE! Finally used my inherited, freshly serviced stab jacket, tank, regs, and jet fins (not pictured) with the new SPG. Fresh water, 7mm wetsuit)

And...I really liked the BC! I was surprised how much, actually. As a female diver, I’ve often had issues with “unisex” (aka men’s) having uncomfortably proportioned strap ratios and placements, and when the fit in one area they’re too big for in another and flop around and create drag. (Women’s BCDs seem to have narrower shoulders, a chest strap placed closer to collarbone level, and a waist strap that fits at the natural waist, and not the hip.)

I assumed that a boxy jacket with limited adjustment options might have similar issues. It also doesn’t have a neoprene cummerbund which I thought might be an negative quality. But actually, I found the simple webbing belt (same style as a weight belt) to be perfectly fine, and I was able to wear it at my waist with my weight belt on my hips. The lack of extras — such as padding, bulky pockets, and weight integration — meant that it wasn’t cumbersome at all so there wasn’t as much to “flop around.” It’s basically a plastic back plate with a waist strap, plus a thin vest that inflates (with the air integrated safe second) It’s not snug and fitted like a highly adjustable women’s specific BCD but with less material that mattered a lot less.

Anyway, just wanted to leave my review of this classic design. More innovations and options exist now, but that doesn’t invalidate the older style. I’d kept it simply because I have never had my own equipment due to lack of funds and no real need to invest in it, and this was at my disposal already, but I’m confident that this will be great for local diving and I’m so excited to have my first full set of dive gear that I can put to use. (Plus I’ll be the only one around with an orange BC) Hooray!!

Very nice. I remember friends having the orange SP jacket in the early/mid 80s. It appeared to be bullet proof, along with their regs and fins. I do not dive a jacket anymore but if I did I would prefer the simplicity of what you have. Glad it worked out for you.

I was given two of those orange stab jackets once. Both were too small for me and one had been robbed of a few things off it at some point in the past. They both came with early square shaped air2’s.
Also in the box of free stuff were two Scubapro MK5/109 setups.
The reg sets went to good use.

@Katie L
( from Newww Yorrrrk City !)

Good for you !
Your father would be proud that you are using his equipment - but a Pink Tank?

The SCUBA Pro Stabilizer Jacket aka "StabJacket" dates way back to 1978
I had just entered the 1978 DEMA show in San Diego and the first person I met was "Big Jim" Christianson.

We were fellow LA Co UW instructors- and even at that early date were considered vintage SCUBA instructors. Big Jim who had been the US national Spear fishing champion for a number of years and had represented the US in International Spear fishing meets and for several years had coached the US spearfishing team in international spear fishing meets and we were both members of the famed Long Beach, California Neptunes Spearfishing club ( Oh the Horror ! Spearing a fish !) But was one of the investors in SCUBA Pro and in charge of their new products

So now you know Jim Christensen …..

Jim excitedly exclaimed "Sam stop by the SCUBA Pro booth - I have a new revolutionary flotation device I want you to see !" I did ,,, Even with Big Jim's personal one on one explanation - I was not overly impressed, with the inflated orange monster but didn't express my initial impressions to Jim.

About a year or more later I was chatting with the then President and one of the co-founders of SCUBA Pro Dick Bonin who was also a spear fisherman and a member of the Neptunes. (double Horror) I don't exactly recall the reason or the main subject of the conversation - we had many. But about a week later a package arrived with a note from Dick - it was a Stab jacket.

I gave it try - found it very comfortable wore it for several years - used it for teaching and some rather serious recreational diving - never a problem - it was indestructible ! As verified by your fathers StabJacket is still in use after all these years by the second generation of family divers - it is a classic bullet proof unit a lasting tribute to the late Big Jim wear it with pride !

FYI
I reviewed my 1978 catalog and discovered the following parts numbers
SCUBA Pro Stabilizer Jacket
Part number
21-028-200-- Small
21-028-300-- Medium
21-028-400--Large
21-028-500-- Extra Large

Good luck and keep us - or me via PM - informed of your future diving adventures
Sam Miller, III

PS It is Memoria day week end...
On the memorial day week end May 31 in 1951 68 years ago I made my very first SCUBA Dive at Diver's Cove, Laguna Beach, California.
The term SCUBA was not it use at that time - it was refred a "Lung diving," I had been a free diver/sear fisherman for about 8 years and was as many of that era unimpressed with the bubble machine
sdm

@Katie L
( from Newww Yorrrrk City !)

Good for you !
Your father would be proud that you are using his equipment - but a Pink Tank?

Very cool! Thanks for the story and additional information. Yes -- my dad is very proud! He does an occasional dive but not often, so he let me have the gear. Picked up the pink tank in '98 when he needed a new one last minute and that one was on sale, or the only one in stock at the shop that day or something. He's secure enough in his masculinity to not to care about the color! But as a 12 year old girl, I thought it was the coolest! Haha.

I almost forgot about this thread!!! Finally had a chance to get back home and dig it out. It’s so minimal! I am a very nostalgic person so I like vintage anything. The dive shop where this was purchased in the 80s is still open so I might take it in just to see what they say.

Photos of BC and reg:
View attachment 470072
View attachment 470073
View attachment 470074
View attachment 470075

View attachment 470076
View attachment 470077
View attachment 470078

Plus, turns out that my mom had a pair of jet fins in my size, though the strap needs replacing:
View attachment 470079

Tanks to be unearthed tomorrow from the hard to reach corner of the storage room.

@rhwestfall guess you owe me a beer. Kanpai...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom