Information/opinions - Belize Dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a trip to Belize in January, staying at Coco Beach, so now it's time to investigate dive shops.

Tuf Enuff (the in-house shop), Chuck & Robbies, and White Sands are the shops we're looking at.

Personal experiences with these shops?
Do they pick up at the resort pier?
Are they "dive your computer and air" shops?
Valet service?
Doubles available?

Thanks

Tuf Enuff (the in-house shop), Chuck & Robbies, and White Sands are the shops we're looking at.

Personal experiences with these shops?

Thanks

Yes, and White Sands is by far my favorite shop on the island. I've dove with them on multiple trips to the Island. I've dove with Chuck & Robbies too. They're fine operation and I don't think you'd regret diving with them but, my recommendation is still White Sands.

Do they pick up at the resort pier?

Yes they will pick you up from most of the hotel piers. I'd recommend touching base with Elbert at White Sands (elbertgreer@fastmail.fm) just to be sure Coco Beach is one of them. :)

Are they "dive your computer and air" shops?

This one is a little hard to answer. For the most part yes. The one thing I'd point out though is that they're more of a "dive the site and conditions" shop. So they're not really a 1500psi and it's time to turn around organization. They do like to know when you're down to 750psi so they can plan when to start the safety stop. They do want the whole group to come up together because they tend to do drift dives so the boat captain follows you as you dive.

Valet service?

Assuming you'll be diving multiple days, usually what happens is you setup your gear the first day. The dive masters take note of how your like your setup arranged and will then rinse, dry, store overnight, and setup your gear for you the next day.

Doubles available?

This one I'm not sure about. If you have a doubles setup and just need tanks they may be able to accommodate you. Again, it's something I'd check with Elbert on. From my personal experience though, if you're advanced enough that you're doubles certified, then there probably isn't a dive site near Ambergris Caye that you'd actually need doubles.

Anyway, good luck with your planning. I don't think you can go wrong with White Sands.

Ron

This one I'm not sure about. If you have a doubles setup and just need tanks they may be able to accommodate you. Again, it's something I'd check with Elbert on. From my personal experience though, if you're advanced enough that you're doubles certified, then there probably isn't a dive site near Ambergris Caye that you'd actually need doubles.

Anyway, good luck with your planning. I don't think you can go wrong with White Sands.

Ron

Thanks for the info.

It's not so much a matter of "needing" doubles, more just a personal preference. I prefer the way doubles trim out, the way they feel in the water, and knowing that I have redundancy in case things get hinky. And since I do a bit of photography, I tend to get separated from the team sometimes. Diving doubles provides redundancy for the "solo dive" portions.

I'd say good luck with doubles, I wanted to get my pony filled, and couldn't get a clear answer before leaving, ended up leaving it at home, and that was the best call, I think Amigos Del Mar is the one shop who fills tanks for most of the others. Nitrox is not even noticeably available. I also do a lot of photography , but frankly the dives are all DM led, and won't require anymore than the AL80 you are granted...I do realize that doesn't do a lot for redundancy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom