Information on Flinders Pier in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hellhole

Contributor
Reaction score
hello and g'day!

i am looking to spend 1 or 2 days diving in Flinders Pier this coming October... esp looking to take some photos of the weedy ??) leafy (??).. :)

Is it too cold of the time to do it in October ? or is the visibility not that good.

any dive shop to recommend? I will be flying into melb..

cheers!

Yep it will be quite cold still in October (around 14c, you can explore temp trends here Port Phillip Temperature Observations).
Vis is weather dependant but Flinders is often pretty good. Does get messed up by northerly or nor-easterly winds, otherwise quite sheltered.
Weedy Sea Dragons are quite common but much less so in the colder months, might be OK by October.
I'm from the other side of town so my local typically only hits Flinders for club dives when all else fails as it's a long drive.
Plenty of local shops on the Mornington Peninsula though.

Keep an eye on

The first 180 metres (200 yards) of the pier is a dual structure, one side concrete and one side wooden. The wooden side is collapsing and due to be rebuilt, as of May it was still awaiting approval. I have no idea if rebuilding the wooden side will stuff up access to the concrete side, but this is Victoria anything is possible. As the government department responsible for the pier is still in the planning stage I will be very surprised if work has started by October

We have found the best way to dive the pier is to walk out along the pier to a square concrete area about halfway then use one of the lower landings for entry and exit, we normally try to dive towards the end of the flood tide. Have a good look under the concrete structure before heading west along the pier checking around piling sand in the weed.

If you venture out from under the pier beware of fishing lines and boat traffic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom