Information/ Guidence Near Civitavecchia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cking27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey
I'll be here soon for a couple days. I'd like to dive but doubt it will work out considering the group I will be with. I would like to get out to very nice beach or just do something fun in the water. Freediving, snorkeling etc. I was really hoping there would be a local or just anyone with experience in the area to help me out with some of the logistics. Seeing as divers look out for one another I figured this be the best place to check. Sadly, I will have have about 80KM zone I won't be able to go out of...but anything can help. Climbing, Diving, Snorkeling, Freediving, Cliffs, Beaches, Hiking. Pretty much anything outdoors or in the water.

Thanks so much for any help you provide.

Civitavecchia is not so fun, neither has a good water or shores. From there you have access to a couple of good wreck, the most famous is the Nasim.,
But, on the north, not so far from there you'll be in Tuscany.
At that poit you'll have access to Argentario where you can find a number of diving centre. The most famous is argentario divers. I'll never dove with them, but sooner or later I'll do. I know they have a good reputation - are among the very few offering UTD courses in Italy, and, I believe their web site has an English translation where you can find more information and ask directly - just google argentario divers.
From Civitavecchia to north, just before arriving to Argentario, Capalbio zone just to have a reference, you'll find a sequence of sandy beaches and very clean water. Because the sand, there is not too much to see underwater, but you can enjoy the sun, surface watersport and the country just behind.
Account also for a couple of pounds when you'll flight back: food and wine are very good there.
Have a nice trip.

Thank you so much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.
It looks like there is a bus that runs from Civitavecchia to Orbetello. From there im thinking i can just take a taxi into the island and find a good beach.

There is also the train from Civitavecchia to Orbetello, depending on which one you take, you can virtually stop anywhere along the sea rail to the north. I suggest to use it because the traffic that in the good season affects the road can cause you delays.
Once arrived to the station, you can choose to get a taxy or whatever. You could also rent a bike - new electric ones are very funny and not tiring at all.
Before Orbetello there is Ansedonia with a couple of very long and beautiful beaches - they can be reached easily also from Capalbio where the train stops. From Orbetello you have more choices (Argentario both sides are beautiful). The northern part has less sand and more rocks and for this reason water is more clear, while the south part has longer beaches.
Use the Google Maps with the satellite images to get an idea, the images were acquired during the summer, so you can also get an idea of people on the beach; where are they, where the beach is equipped with sun beds and where not.
Don't forget the towel and a good protection factor sun cream ;-)

I've been diving with argentario divers recently and confirm that they are OK. Good communication, good time management which was important for me. Rental dive gear is of good quality and well serviced. Air, nitrox, trimix, rebreathers - your choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom