Information about travel, finding dive shops, dive guides & buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Ed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
How do I find buddies to dive with me if I am traveling alone? Do I contact local dive shops for guides or buddies?

Do dive shops receive a performance rating for safety and customer satisfaction?

I assume if a dive is poorly rated there would be some indication to warn divers?

I have a large Pelican case that is too big for long distant traveling, any suggestion? Something waterproof and large enough for Mares Prestige BCD and fins?

Location and location.
In SE Asia most if not all dive operators will provide dive guide. Highly unlikely you will be allowed to dive without a buddy so another diver will be allocated to dive with you.
Unofficial rating of dive operators is everywhere!!!!
Why would you need a waterproof case for scuba equipment? I have been using a nondescript soft pack since day 1. I do not like to advertise the content inside the bag. All the tags from previous flight are removed. There is no need to tell anyone that you are a frequent flyer!!!!

not sure where you live or where you plan to travel but when we travle to mexico or the caribbean, pretty much all the shops will offer guided dives (unless you are somewhere you can shore dive) and will pair you up with another diver or a guide.

scubaboard is a good resource for opinions on dive locations and shops. if you have specific locations in mind you can always search or ask for opinions.

for travel we just use a basic flexible hard shell suitcase. nothing special. but i prefer a hard shell vs a bag just for some added protection. we carry our regs in our carry on bags.
no need for a water proof case for basic gear. always pack your gear when it is completely dry.

I would start by using the SB sub forums for whichever area you plan to visit next. I've found several buddies that way. Of course there's no real way to know how good a buddy they'd be-- I have been lucky. Mostly I was looking at shore diving. If you're not diving tropically where it may be "guided", I'm not sure how successful you'd be getting a buddy by contacting a charter boat/shop. I think my procedure as a "single" diver was just to show up at the dock and they'll assign you someone.

@Mr. Ed

I’m going to suggest Rainbow Reef (dive op) in Key Largo for your first trip. Shallow reef dives so easy beginner dives. They always put a guide in the water, from what I read. Lots of friends have enjoyed their dives with Rainbow Reef. Also gets around the possible issue of covid and traveling outside the US.

Thank you

I would check with the Dive Op about buddies. While insta-buddies are always an option (where 2 single divers are paired as buddies) most dive ops who already put a divemaster in the water will let you buddy with the divemaster, usually at no extra charge (but confirm that). If you specifically ask for a private DM, there is usually a charge. Note that in some places (Florida panhandle, Myrtle Beach, etc.) it is common for them NOT to put a DM in the water -- so you'd either need an insta-buddy or they might make you pay for a private DM.

As far as Dive Ops, I usually check on here, TripAdvisor, and their Facebook page for reviews. On sites like TripAdvisor where it's easy to search, I'll look at the lower reviews especially (if they have any) to see how old they are and whether they sound like safety issues or just sometimes people/businesses don't click. I do think the suggestion of Rainbow Reef above could be a good match for your first trip.

As for luggage, my son and I each have the largest size bag you can check on flights (I believe 31") that we mainly put our dive gear in. My bag is a hard Samsonite F'lite (basically a plastic shell with 1 divider) and his is a regular nylon bag, and I have to say his is showing signs of wear -- though we try to dry things before we travel, sometimes things are still damp, especially when we take 5mm wetsuits (this adds weight too). As someone mentioned, we avoid using bags that have scuba branding on the outside -- both because of possible theft, and because some airlines/ferries might want to charge extra. We use these big bags for scuba gear, and we carry on 24" duffels for our clothes.

P.S.: Watch the fine print of some of the discount airlines as far as maximum weight for checked bags. We are always above 40 lbs. on our scuba bags, and a few discount airlines (I believe Spirit is one) have a 40 lb. limit and then charge a big fee for going over that weight.

I'm flying from NY to visit my brothers in Cartersville Ga 09/12-15. Someone (Dixie Divers) posted a rock quarry in White Ga, I'd like to visit. Perhaps reaching out to them will be helpful as time grows near?
Time frame is mid-September, should a buy a wetsuit or will my Bare Trilam dry suit be sufficient?

I'm flying from NY to visit my brothers in Cartersville Ga 09/12-15. Someone (Dixie Divers) posted a rock quarry in White Ga, I'd like to visit. Perhaps reaching out to them will be helpful as time grows near?
Time frame is mid-September, should a buy a wetsuit or will my Bare Trilam dry suit be sufficient?

Hauling all your gear on a plane to dive a quarry? I wouldn’t consider it worth it. And I do a lot of quarry diving.

I assume you are talking about Kraken Springs: kraken

Their website says you can only dive there while taking lessons, so you may want to check on that.

I dive in quarries in East Tennessee (not too far away) and while you may be warm on the surface in a drysuit, most of the quarries (except those with aerators, which are rare) have big thermoclines (temperature changes), so while the water in August may be over 80 degrees on the surface, it may be 70 degrees at 30 feet, 56 degrees at 70 feet, etc. So, some people dive year round in drysuits. As for me, I make do in a 5mm, with 5mm boots, gloves, and hood, plus an extra 2-3mm vest also.

Back
Top Bottom