Info request/comments on Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kraken

Registered
Reaction score
I have been considering doing a liveaboard to Komodo Island, Sea Safari III, and wanted to see if anyone has comments on that boat or diving Komodo.

Also, the trip leaves from Bima and returns to Bali, any suggestions on places to stay/visit at either location?

I'm hoping to catch the Contiential Micronesia out of Los Angeles via Guam to Bali. Seems like the safest route to get to Asia.

Dave

We stayed at a number of hotels, but I can recommend the Peneeda View in Sanur. Try to get in a couple of dives at Tulamben and Padangbai while you are on Bali.

Haven't been on this boat myself but heard good things about it.

With regards to Komdo diving, I can highly recommend it; we went a couple of times on liveaboards and were amazed by the healthiness of the reefs (particularly in the south, sites such as Cannibal rock) and the visibility in the North. We saw lots of things, from 5m mantas to pigmy seahorses.

Bear in mind however that the visibility/ water temperature varies hugely dependening on when you go and whether you dive the Northern or Southern sites.

Enjoy your trip !

Diving around Komodo is fantastic some really pristine coral with a variety of sealife eg mantas, turtles, reef sharks, nudis, bumpheads and so many other fish. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone.
As for hotels in Bali there is so many to choose from depending on your budget and preference. I like the Puri Bambu at Jimbaran, (go for the superior room, it has traditonal balinese feel) but it is quite out of the way and al ittle quiet for some. although they have shuttle to Kuta if you are after some action.

Continental through Hawaii and Guam is the safest route?
I'm not sure what you mean by safest, but prices are inexpensive to that area now.

I'm near San Jose, CA and just came back from Bali. The cheapest airfare to I found was:
San Francisco R/T to Singapore $478 on Singapore airlines and they had a special "Asia pass" for and additional $120 per leg, minimum 3 legs.

Since I only needed 2 legs, I ended flying United R/T SFO to Bangkok for $608, but Northwest had similar prices.

Thai Airways R/T to Denpasar, Bali was $343, but if I would have waited and bought it from a Wholesaler in Bangkok I heard that I could have gotten it for under $275.

Lodging is darn good value in Bali
Bali is vacant now, and there are an abundance of bungalows and Hotels, most quite reasonable. I'm not sure what your lodging comfort requirements are, but when in Kuta I like to stay at
Suji Bungalow *click here*
Forget the Internet prices, I paid 110,000 Rupiah = $12 USD per night and I didn't even try to bargain (meaning you could do better). It is clean, secure, close to shopping and the beach and the price includes a continental breakfast.

If you are taking a lady or want more plush accomodations, your dollar will go very far.

Hi

Komodo is fab diving but I don't know anything about the liveaboard. I suppose there are standard liveaboard saftey checks u can do to make sure they have O2 on board etc. - it's quite a long way from anywhere - if anything happens to you you'll have to be carted back to Bali which takes ages.

I have no recommendations about Bima (didn't like the look of it) but Bali's great.
I stayed at the Hotel Shanti on Jalan Tamblingen in Sanur it was ok and had air con. A really nice place was just north of Kuta - I forget the name but it's literally the next spot north of Kuta. The Hotel was called Nagi. Really nice place.

DO NOT miss out on Tulumben - there are a couple of hotels there, I just stayed in bungalow. In Padangbai - the nicest place is Kerti - stay there. Tulumben and Padangbai are really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom