Info? Pavillion, Shuswap, Minnewanka, & Kooteney lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,

I'm heading out on a diving road trip next week and am looking for some recent vis condition/info on the following locations:

Pavillion lake (Sky blue to island in the lake recreational zone in particular). I've looked at the NASA and Park websites etc... but has anyone dove it lately?

Shuswap lake (Whitesmith wreck - where is it exactly?) and any other interesting shore dives, recent vis conditions etc... I'm waiting for an email reply from Copper diving in Salmon Arm but...

Lake Minnewanka (1912 dam site in particular). Seems straight forward but anything I should know about diving in the park? (besides that it's an altitude dive).

Kooteney Lake (Riondel and City of Ainsworth sites). Recent vis conditions and dive shop in the area?

DaleC,

I can comment about Minnewanka. Vis right now is not the best since we are still in the midst of run-off and we have had a very wet spring/summer. Vis is about 15 feet. The water level is also still very low, with the bottom of the dam only at about 75 feet right now.

The dam site is marked with a float and flag - you can't miss it. The float is anchored to the rocks just above the top of the blockhouse.

The entire area from north of the dam to south of the pilings is now inside an area marked with floats and bouys that keep boaters out - that's a good thing.

Keep in mind that you have to climb down the rip-rap on the side of the causeway to get to the water. The footing can be treacherous - some of the boulders that would normaly lie beneath the high water mark can be quite loose.

You will need to display a Parks Canada pass in your vehicle. Parking is along the shoulder of the road on the causeway. The road is narrow and there is only parking on the Lake side. If you are planning to dive on a weekend, get there before 8:30 to park and to get into the water before it gets too mucked up with classes. Two weekends ago the cars were parked from one end of the causeway to the other - three AOW classes going on (one with 3 instructors and 15 students). There were a lot of folks out there.

If you are out this weekend, I'll be at the "pilings" (also called the Plaque Site)south of the dam site helping with an OW class. Look for the bright red Chev Silverado.

Bill

Last edited:
Thank you Bill! just the kind of info I was looking for. I plan to hit Banff Tues or Weds so I will fortunately miss the crowds but unfortunately miss you.
Perhaps another time.
Best regards,
Dale.

Thanks Nacl,
I've looked at that website. On the overview map you will see the 1912 dam site I plan to visit and a description of the townsite remains.

I'll be at Pavilion lake on Thurs, Sat, and Sun. I'll let you know how it is.

Cheers.

I will be there on Sunday (July 26th). I'm not sure about early or late afternoon.
I'm looking at the central rec zone as I may camp at the sky blue resort.
Silver Saturn 4 door with a scuba sticker on the back window.

Kooteney Lake (Riondel and City of Ainsworth sites). Recent vis conditions and dive shop in the area?

No dive shop in the area. City of Ainsworth is around 365'. You'll need a boat.

I haven't done Riondel but there is good shore diving on the other side at Kaslo or pretty much anywhere else you can get in. Woodbury of course has the wreck of the former B.C. ferry "Anscomb".

I don't have any recent reports of vis but I would suspect that it would be really bad down to about 30' then clear up quite nice after that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom