Info on Roatan accomodations requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkelgeek

Registered
Reaction score
We are advance researching trip in spring to Roatan. We prefer not to go AI, instead wish to sample local restaurants. We are not divers, but are avid snorkelers. We have narrowed our search to three possibilities: Las Rocas (West Bay), Lost Paradise (West End) and Vista Villas (Sandy Bay beside BIBR).

Our criteria are: nice beach, beach snorkeling (easy entry as 2 of our group have gimp knees), proximity to restaurants and amenities (walking distance preferred).

Our concerns are Las Rocas - beach area on north side okay? and how is snorkeling at that location. Lost Paradise - snorkeling - we'd heard seagrass bottom in West End. And Vista Villas - enough restaurants around to keep us occupied for 2 weeks?

Any thoughts out there on which accomodation would be best? WE are looking at 2 weeks in April or May.

We have also heard there could be a sea lice problem, but that the season for sea lice is May/June. Is this true...will we miss the sea lice if we go in mid-Apr?

Another question is transport. We have no idea of distances. We were told that if we weren't in AI we would have to rent a car to get around to restaurants, but I don't know if that's right. Everything seems reasonably close on maps and pics that I have seen, but maybe they're misleading.

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated.

Brenda

I'm not the biggest expert but i have been to Roatan 6 or so times and never stayed in an AI. Not a big fan of them. I like the culture. If you like to be close to everything i reccomend west end. It has a good beach but not that great. West bay has the best beach but it is like a $2 water taxi ride away from west end. The big deal is that there is not much for food or nightlife in west bay. I really like coconut tree. The people are fantastic and the accomodations are good. It is right in the middle of west end also. you really don't need to rent a car. maybe for 1 or 2 days to go see other parts of the island. but it cost like 1 or 2 $ to get to most any restaurant in the area by taxi. Also there are quite a few restaurants within 5 minutes walking distance from coconut tree. some off the very worthwhile restaurants are the argentine grill(west end), eagle rays(west end and they have excellent jallapeno snapper), and for about a $20 taxi ride to French harbour, you can go to Gio's. It is an excellent restaurant and if you like lobster, shrimp, and crab, get the eldens special and i assure you you won't be dissappointed. If you have any other questions , post them and i will try to respond. By the way, great choice on not going with an AI. Create your own vacation.

Thanks Minco!

We realize that anywhere on Roatan will be great, but when there are so many choices you start getting nit-picky. We also had someone recommend Bungalow 7 to us. My concern there is that the pics on their website don't really show the "beach" as being actually on the ocean. I know it's a man-made beach, but it looks like it's just beside the bar above the ocean. Anyone been there at the restaurant or bar and seen this place? Prices are good.

I've been to AI's at other places, but with a smaller place like Roatan, the concern is that if you get stuck with rotten food, you're stuck. And most of the AI's there seem to be in areas where there isn't much choice for other restaurants. AI's have their advantages but I prefer the smaller places.

I guess the biggest decision is just weighing the difference between WEst End and WEst Bay in terms of restaurants and snorkeling. Sounds like WE beats the pants off WB for food, would there be much of a difference in snorkeling? I'm not convinced there's THAT much of a difference between the two.

Brenda

I would recommend Las Rocas. We were there two years ago and the service was really good. At the time, they brought us breakfast in the morning, which was nice to eat on the balcony. Very helpful with tours and a couple of places to eat right by the hotel. We are scuba divers, but went snorkeling at night just north of the hotel and had a good time. It was a small resort which really catered to it's visitors. I would stay there again the next time we go.
All I can say if you are going to Roatan is CACTUS JUICE, CACTUS JUICE and more CACTUS JUICE. Those little sand fleas can be a nuisance if you're not careful!!!!

The thing is, the snorkelling in West Bay really is quite a bit better than West End, especially if you go to the far western end of the beach to where you are up against the iron shore. The best compromise is usually to stay in West End and take the water taxi over to West Bay. It is cheap and only takes a few minutes.

Thanks, that's pretty much what we've decided. We chose Lost Paradise in WEst End and if we feel the snorkeling there isn't good enough, will go to West Bay for day trip or take a snorkel trip with boat. WE'll be there 2 weeks, so lots of opportunity to explore!

snorkelgeek:
Thanks, that's pretty much what we've decided. We chose Lost Paradise in WEst End and if we feel the snorkeling there isn't good enough, will go to West Bay for day trip or take a snorkel trip with boat. WE'll be there 2 weeks, so lots of opportunity to explore!

I stayed at Lost Paradise last year and really enjoyed it. They are nice little cabana type rooms and there are some right on the beach. The others are just across the road and are surrounded by beautiful flowers. They also have a nice dock with a gazebo at the end, which is great for watching sunsets. It was short walk to all of the restaurants and bars, so it is a nice location. The rooms were clean and the people were great. Good choice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom