Info on Flamingo Hotel anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does any one have any information /experiences on the Flamingo Hotel?
We are planning to stay there soon, but the significant other
is concerned that they don't have a pool.
Good rates though from what I found out. Any info
would be apprieciated, good or bad.
Thanks

They do not have a pool. The rooms are sufficient. Not fancy by any means. Service is very, very good. The homemade breakfast and service is terrific. Quiet, relaxing, near town. The only complaint I had was the shower, not warm enough, not enough water pressure to rinse shampoo easily. It was a good deal.

Agree with Rescue Diver68. Nothing fancy, but a good value. Shower very early in AM or late in PM for somewhat better water pressure & temperature. Get a room away from the street.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

The last time my parents visited the Island, I put them at the Flamingo, because it is close to my house.

Worked out well, even though no pool...

With the money you will save, you can rent a car for a week and hit any beach!

I would ask for a room on a low floor, as the stairs can get tiresome after a day or two.

Nancy

I stayed in the Hotel Flamingo for a week in June 2003 with a group of friends. It was wonderful, and I highly recommend it. I will go back. The place is old, but decent. It is a two star place, but I am definitely going back. The staff is FABULOUS, and the prices are great.

Personally I didn't care if there was a pool because I spent a couple hours each morning on or under the water so I didn't need a pool, but some people really need one. There are a number of public beaches with a variety of services where you can hang out and sunbath and snorkel and eat and drink.

The biggest problem with the Hotel Flamingo would be the water temperature and pressure. Manager Kelly says to let the water run for a while and it will get warm. The water never got HOT, but it was okay. If it doesn't get warm, complain to Kelly. The rooms towards the back are closer to the water heater and get warm water quicker; rooms 28 and 38 are the best. Bruce from Topanga says he removes the shower head to get better water flow.

The hotel is close enough to easily walk to most places, but far enough off the tourist streets to be quiet. The lobby became the hangout and we met a lot of really great divers staying there.

Note that there is no elevator at the Hotel.

Incidentally, rumor has it that the owner Tom recently finished paying off the place, so now he is going to start putting more money into fixing things up. He is working on upgrading the bar to get more of that business.

FOOD:
Julian at the HF makes great waffles or a fruit plate for breakfast. He is "famous" for making awesome margeritas. One night we arranged for him to BBQ some chickens and shrimp for us to have a dinner for 8 right there at the inside patio of the HF. It was great.

There is a tiny family run "diner" across the street called El Morrito III. It is definitely a "local" place. The prices are VERY reasonable, and the food is good and authentic. You can wander over and order, or the Hotel Flamingo staff can order for you. The diner guy delivers the food to you at the Hotel, and comes back in a while to gather the dishes and take your money. They don't speak english, except to tell you how much you owe.

Kelly, the HF manager was a great source of information about restaurants.

--
If you are looking for a Island equivalent of a cruise ship, then Hotel Flamingo may not be the right place for you. If you want a nice place for a great price, with friendly staff and patrons, then go to the Hotel Flamingo and spend the rest of your hard-earned pesos on excellent diving.

Just my opinions.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom