Info needed about diving D.R??....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking about going to D.R. & in particular staying @ Paradisus Resort Punta Cana, D.R.....Anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of this resort & also how's the diving off D.R(there).....Thanks in advance, any info would be greatly appreciated.....Joe....btw, here's a site I've found on them...://www.southtravels.com/america/dominicanrepublic/paradisuspuntacana/index.html

You might want to rethink that one. Stayed at Paradisus two years ago and although the resort was nice, the room was INFESTED with roaches. Also, got "tourista", prayed to die, spent most of my time in the bathroom with my "little friends" las cucarachas. I think one of the problems might have been that the food at the restaurants was left out in the open, in the heat, with a lot of flies around. Someone also suggested that they might be rinsing the fruits and veggies in tap water, which, is a no no in a place like the Dominican.
The beach was lovely, but the resort caters to families, and most were Latin. The end result was that there was loud "salsa" type music blasting all day long on the beach where groups were taking "macarena type" line dance type of classes and it became really annoying after the first day. They were having a blast and that was good but it's hard to relax on a beautiful beach with tinny hectic music blasting. Don't even think of breaking out a book or taking a snooze under a palm tree- can;t happen there.
6 months later, stayed at Secrets Excellence, clean, no roaches, better food, didn't get sick. No music blastin on the beach, smaller resort, less crowded beach. The surf was very rough up on that end of the beach, my husband and I are both divers and we stayed out of the water because you really got knocked around too much to swim. One caveat is that Secrets doesn't allow children, so if that's an issue-
I didn't dive on either stay- so I can't give you advice on that.
(Sorry to scare you about Paradisus, but I had heard they had a roach problem before we went and my travel agaent assured me it was just a rumor, and that someone probably saw one bug and got hysterical, next thing you know it's all over the internet.)
Not true, there were so many roaches right out in the open it was frightening. I wish someone had been honest with me!)
Anyway, if you want to get an all around overview of other peoples' experiences in Punta Cana, a good idea is to go to Tripadvisor.com. What we found is tht Punta Cana is a great value destination with a lot to offer, but you have to be very careful as the accomodations can run the gammit from wonderful to horrific. We met folks on the beach who were staying at rather large resorts there and having some real "third world" issues like toilets backing up, and a lot of gastric problems. Research, research, research, and you will have a great vacation. Okay, lecture over.
That website probably won't cover the diving thouroughly either, but will give you a lot of information about the different resorts and the good and the bad.
I'd like to hear about anyone who's gone diving in Punta Cana as well. My husband is hinting about taking another trip there to golf and there is good diving, I would try it.
I don;t think it's a big dive location at all, but I'll wait to see how the other Scubaboard members cash in on that topic.
Let us knw what you decide and whatever you choose, have a safe and fun trip!

I haven't been to DR so I can't personally comment, but I have done a lot of research, and there have been a lot of threads on SB about the DR. Sorry to say that most of it hasn't been good, as far as the diving goes. A co-worker of mine, who is a diver, went to the DR before Xmas and said the surf was so bad they never got into the water. She wasn't impressed with it.
You may find, as I did when I posted about Jamaica, that divers here will offer alternative destinations (like Bonaire, Cozumel or the Caymans) ...but it depends what you're looking for. If you let everyone know what your priorities are, it may help.

Are you set on the DR for whatever reason?
Are you travelling with a family, and/or non-divers?
Are you looking for a dive destination first and foremost, with the beach aspect second? ...or a good-value all-inclusive foremost, with a little diving on the side?

Just to let you know, I too am going to the DR. From what I have found out, the diving isn't great, but if you are going to dive, dive in La Romana. There is a marine sanctuary there and a few wrecks as well as caves. As far as roaches, you will find them anywhere tropical. My rental car in Hawaii had roaches. Yes, do avoid the water and anything rinsed in it, i.e. salad, fruit, ice, and so on. Also, some of the fish dishes served should be avoided. Look into some iodine or pills for water purification. Also, there is a new violet light pen that you can buy to purify water, it is suppose to be pretty good. Your safety there may also be an issue if you wonder off the normal tourist locations. That is all I know so far. Feel free to contact me with any questions and look for people from the DR for further info, I have had some good luck with that.

I'm heading down to DR tomorrow. Going to Bayahibe which is a short drive from La Romana. I will give a trip report when I get back in a little over a week.

CB

tankbreather:
As far as roaches, you will find them anywhere tropical. My rental car in Hawaii had roaches.
Tankbreather is right, you will find roaches in any tropical place. My point was that the particular resort the poster asked about was infested with them. I think that in many places the issue is not if there are roaches, but the level at which they are controlled. Paradisus reminded me of a movie produced back in 1996 called "Joe's Apartment". I mean, these things were running the resort! You couldn't look anywhere in your rom and not see a roach. Now that's pretty bad.
We did return to Punta Cana the year after our roach nightmare and stayed at "Secrets Excellence". I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could ferret out a roach, but they weren't running races up and down the bathroom walls!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom