Inflator valve replacement DUI 50/50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdC

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am resurrecting my backup drysuit due to some weight loss and it needs some TLC. I remember thinking the zipper was on the way out last time I dove it because I had some dampness on my chest. I took a look and I think it’s more likely that it was leaking around the inflator.

On my TLS this would be a no brainer with the single trilam layer but the 50/50 has the internal layer and also the external fabric for looks. I see that the previous owner had tried to seal it but it but it didn’t work completely. My question is where do you glue the rubber sealing gasket to the suit, Onto the trilam, and under the outer cloth layer? Or do I aquaseal the cloth tho the trilam and then glue the gasket to the outside?

702CC665-DB03-49E6-85E3-7C2BE5E76584.jpeg

Thanks, Ed

Is this any different to an inflation assembly on a Wing -- which has an internal bladder and an external covering ?

Yes, just because the threaded and sealed nipple on the wing bladder is attached, this is two pieces that have to seal with the material sandwiched.

Have you had any luck with inflator leak? How did you end up fitting the gasket on the suit in regards to the different layers?

I'm having exactly same issue with my CF200 and trying to figure out some solution. Hopefully without the glue as my dump valve is installed without any glue and doesn't seem to leak :)

my dump valve is installed without any glue and doesn't seem to leak

That’s what I would try first. Crank it down tight and give it a shot. Maybe a plastic washer on the backside so it’s easier to get tight, but I rarely ever put any adhesive on drysuit valves. If anything, a light layer of silicone and keep it away from the threads. I have put four inflators on dui suits this summer without adding any adhesive and none leaked. I usually take the inflator off when replacing neck seals. That includes clx450, yukon, 50/50 and cf-200.

The last time I had to take one off that was aquasealed on, it made me unhappy.

That’s what I would try first. Crank it down tight and give it a shot. Maybe a plastic washer on the backside so it’s easier to get tight, but I rarely ever put any adhesive on drysuit valves. If anything, a light layer of silicone and keep it away from the threads. I have put four inflators on dui suits this summer without adding any adhesive and none leaked. I usually take the inflator off when replacing neck seals. That includes clx450, yukon, 50/50 and cf-200.

The last time I had to take one off that was aquasealed on, it made me unhappy.
That’s great to know, thanks!

How do you deal with two layers of material near zipper where inlet valve is installed on the cf200 model?
Does the fabric material gets sandwiched into the rubber port along with neoprene (on the outside of the suit) or it’s just neoprene that needs to be sandwiched to create the proper seal?

I currently have both materials (neoprene and fabric) being pressed under rubber gasket outside, which might be the reason I get leaks.

fwiw, DUI's service has been first rate in my experience and I have always sent my CF200x back to them for repairs. Also has the added benefit of having them give the suit a full inspection to look for any other issues

I am waiting for the season to end here with winter as I shredded one of the cargo pockets and need it replaced. (Side note: when collecting a sharp piece from a wreck, do not use cargo pocket!)

How do you deal with two layers of material near zipper where inlet valve is installed on the cf200 model?
Does the fabric material gets sandwiched into the rubber port along with neoprene (on the outside of the suit) or it’s just neoprene that needs to be sandwiched to create the proper seal?

Hey fish finder - When you say "rubber port", it sounds like you adding a third layer of material. I attach the valve over just two layers of the suit - the compressed neoprene inner layer and the cordura outer layer. Look closely for any ridges in material or old sealer that might need to be removed or flattened out and that’s it.

If you add a third layer, I can imagine a scenario where there won’t be enough pressure to make a good seal.

edit: I see now that there is another layer in your earlier pic. That’s not needed from the factory and I would try without it.

looking at the other post on factory repairs. I’ve yet to see a dui suit less than 15 years old. Maybe someday . . . I wonder if they will still warranty.

Hey fish finder - When you say "rubber port", it sounds like you adding a third layer of material. I attach the valve over just two layers of the suit - the compressed neoprene inner layer and the cordura outer layer. Look closely for any ridges in material or old sealer that might need to be removed or flattened out and that’s it.

If you add a third layer, I can imagine a scenario where there won’t be enough pressure to make a good seal.

edit: I see now that there is another layer in your earlier pic. That’s not needed from the factory and I would try without it.

looking at the other post on factory repairs. I’ve yet to see a dui suit less than 15 years old. Maybe someday . . . I wonder if they will still warranty.

Hey Curious George,

By rubber port I meant this rubber piece which is part that came with inflator (small circle is outside of the suit and bigger one inside. But it’s a one piece)
B395B7EE-CC8E-47C9-BAFD-AF600BC7F49E.jpeg

Just for testing purposes, I attached the valve only to the neoprene without cordura at all (to eliminate the chance of bad seal when 2 materials are sandwiched), tightened it all nicely with tool and put it into the bucket of water (with inflator hose attached and connected to the tank).
2 hours later, napkin that I put around the valve inside the suit still got pretty wet :(

Here is how that rubber port was installed during the test:
C9DBFD17-AC8A-41FA-8536-A07550BB971B.jpeg

04040AF0-5238-4789-9E7F-4A7EC1423710.jpeg

Do you have a similar setup with your cf200?
I wonder if I missing something..

You mentioned silicon might help, where would you apply it?
My guess is that the water seeps under the smaller ring, then into the suit as it’s all wet under the big ring inside the suit.
My apologies if this description is confusing..

Edit: valve port I got:
Si-Tech Internal Valve Port for Valve Set Drysuit Valves

Hello. Before I start - let’s just say I don’t know what I’m talking about. Also, it’s hard to evaluate without actually having the suit. AND, I’ve never used anything like that port you purchased.

My free opinion is this: forget the dock. Attach the valve to the suit just as it is from the factory. Look at the point where the circular ridge on the front and back of the valve contacts the suit and ensure it is free of any debris, uneven adhesive, or etc that could prevent a good seal. Attach it just like that. If it still leaks, put a light layer of silicone on the suit in that same contact ridge area then try again. Probably also a little silicone between the neoprene and cordura as well. Do not seal the threads.
Do a real leak test with soapy water and inside out pressurized suit so you really know where the leak is coming from. Anything else is a guess. Put lots of pressure in it until the latex starts to balloon out if you can’t easily find the leak.

Back
Top Bottom