Inflating a Six Footer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm going to carry a large SMB at sites such as Cocos, I add a spare 26" LP hose with a Dive Alert on the end, clipped off to the left waist D-ring. Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

(If I ever have to use that Dive Alert, I want it well away from my ears.)

..closed, with oral inflation hose.....

All the above replies are great advice and they are really nice people............So I'll be the one to give you the bad news.

You bought the wrong kind of SMB..........Instead of a "closed with oral inflation" for a 20ft deploy, you REALLY want a 'duck bill' open bottom SMB that you can blast air into with your octo reg. Many organizations have them, but an example is the Diver's Alert Network SMB, very durable at $60.

DAN: Online Store | scuba diving safety equipment

562.jpg

..in retrospect, I would have bought a shorter one!

I think 6 foot is the perfect size,,but also remember width,,,, and WIDER is better than length because it's easier to see.

My MO would be - Take a full breath, dump air from the BC to get neutral, Blow air into the bag, then repeat if needed. The air that leaves your lungs & goes into the bag maintains the same total buoyancy as long as you hold onto the bag. Once you let the bag go, then you will need to fill your BC again as needed.

If I am like 100' down & I shoot a fish that I want to send up with a marker, I'll fold the marker in 4, then inflate only the first quarter, so that I don't pop it on the way up. Mine marker does not have an over pressure safety.

Is there an Over Pressure Valve on it?

Seems to me you have a closed surface marker buoy which is intented to be inflated at the surface. A DSMB is equiped with an OPV to allow filling at depth and safe sending to surface. This one might over inflate and rip.

Otherwise, like the other said, you need it half filled at 10m.

You bought the wrong kind of SMB..........Instead of a "closed with oral inflation" for a 20ft deploy, you REALLY want a 'duck bill' open bottom SMB that you can blast air into with your octo reg
No he did'nt buy the wrong smb :wink: Deploying an smb is a skill in need to be mastered. I can orally inflate my closed smb without any problem. Besides that, I don't have an octo, so your solution is certainly not a 'one size fits all'.

Btw, the only thing the smb has to do is reach the surface with a reasonable amount of air. No feed to fill it 100% under water. There's more than enough time to do that on the surface.

Also, if you have the type that has an open bottom with one way valve, don't inflate with the intention of towing it or even try to stay put in a current. Because of the open bottom water will be forced into it. Inflate while drifting and continue drifting as you ascend.

I inflate at 40’ or so on a rec dive, I take one breath, remove my reg and breathe into the smb, put the reg back in my mouth - at this point you are still neutral cause you didn’t change anything right? As I breathe from my reg, I let the smb go and the spoil unwind.

No fussing with air out of the bcd, getting negative, putting two breaths in - too much hassle. Smooth and simple is how it ought to be.

Back
Top Bottom