Inexpensive Video Lights for Compact Canon Powershot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nankivell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Canon Powershot SX230 in a Canon Housing. I've decided to add a tray and video light. There are so many choices out there and I don't want to spend a ton of money (cause I don't have it). I was thinking of just buying an inexpensive tray from Ikelite (or something similar)---add a flexible arm--and then one of these chinese lights made by Novae. You can buy a MagicShine MJ-878 which has 2200 Lumens for about $250.Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Paul

For video the one thing you'll need to watch is the beam angle. Most dive lights - not video dive lights - have a very narrowly focused beam - in the 10-15o range. Magicshine doesn't list it but I'd guess it's narrow since that's how the beam stays tight for a long distance. For video you'd probably want about a 1000 lumens minimum total. 2 lights on arms will be more even lighting also if that's in your budget.

Most video lights are 60o or more - IIRC the Ikelite Video Lite is the narrowest at 45o. So your results with the Magicshine will likely have a hotspot in the center surrounded by a ring of shadows. This is an extreme example since it's at night but you get the idea...(thanks to PAFirefighter)

i-brpSWCT-L.jpg

Post #7 from this thread also has example videos: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...etting-into-underwater-videography-photo.html

Here's one affordable option: Underwater camera mini video light, 900 lumen scuba video lighting by Light For Me - notice the beam angle is 120o - $219 also...
and their tray: Underwater photo video lighting components

Other places to look:
Optical Ocean Sales: Underwater Photo & Video Equipment - 800-359-1295
Underwater Video Lights
I-Torch Video Lights - Dive Gear Express

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Steve---I decided to spend the extra $$ and bought one Sola 1200--will see how that works and if I need a second light.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom