Inexpensive Underwear options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, i'm looking to get as close as possible to the same material as the Fourth Element Arctic underwear. I can get Patagonia gear and know they use polartec, which is what i suspect Fourth Element uses.

Looking for some advice on how to recreate the same warmth and bulk of the Arctic underwear using Patagonia's or other manufacturers gear. Which base layers and mid layers would provide the same combination of warmth and bulk?

I use Helly Hansen underwear. Underwear made for construction, oil rig and arctic workers.

Made of polypropilene they do the job and are generally less expensive because they don't

suffer from the added mark up brought on by the "specialty" label of scuba or climbing sport equipment.

Which ones and how cold is the water you dive in?

Looking for more specifics.

I've used the Helly Hanson Welland (320g Fleece) as an outer layer. Also Kenyon Polartec Powerstretch top/bottoms as a warm baselayer (don't know the weight but they are comparable to the Xerotherm). Both available on sierratradingpost.com and cheap with a coupon (~$15 each is what I paid). The only problem I've found is unless it's got a nice tight athletic cut 2 layers of fleece will bunch up on me and limit mobility. The Kenyons are nice and tight fitting, the Helly Hansons are kind of baggy and it has worked fine.
I've worn the Kenyons as a base under both the Helly Hansons or an MK2 while keeping very warm in 46 deg waters here which according to 4th Elements recommendations would be wearing their Xerotherm under an Arctic. During the summer I will wear just the MK2 or just the Kenyons in 65-70deg waters which is where 4th Element recommends just the Xerotherm.
I've also talked to a guy that wears his Cabelas Thermal zone Stand Hunter Polartec thermals, but they cost almost as much as a set of Forth Elements.
Also I dive with a Whites Fusion drysuit so the suit itself provides no insulation.

what my research has shown so far is that

Xerotherm = Polartec Powerstretch which Marmot makes a nice set of tops and bottoms
Drybase = Polartec Power dry or the like
Arctic = I believe polartec thermal pro or thermal high loft with a power stretch outer layer.

That Marmot stuff looks nice but really doesn't look to be much cheaper than what the Xerotherms can be had for.

I can get better prices on marmot than on Fourth element. The Arctics are the harder ones to find a comparable model.

A little update, I ordered a set of ems brand power stretch tights and pullover, very nice and very warm. Still waiting on another set of fleece garmets and will update when I get them.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

Check out eBay seller:

rondel101bjrr

I've no connection with him but he does 300g 4-way stretch undersuits in fleece for not a lot of money. I bought one and he delivered to the UK no problem and it was a great piece of kit, very nicely made and great value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom