Inexpensive and Good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Straegen

New Fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
If you were buying an all new package (can include sale items) and wanted to keep your cost around 1k, what would specific items would your shopping list include? Should include the obvious: BC, Reg, Oct, Mask, Fin, Compass/Gauge/Computer. It would be best if it included an actual computer. Don't worry about shipping/tax and assume a basic single tank warm water package.

Curious to see if any bargains I don't know about pop up here. Here is my quick list, I threw together:

• Regulator - ScubaMax RG1008 - $220
  • Octo - ScubaMax XR2002 - $89
  • Fin - ScubaPro Jet - $65
  • Mask - Sherwood Mako - $27
  • BPW - ScubaToys Back Plate Wing Package - $319
  • Computer Console - Mares Mission Puck 3 - $335

Package comes in just over 1k. I splurged on the console and I know many prefer the wrist mount stuff, but hard to beat a good computer, compass, PG at that price. With a little DIY, you could easily hack the console apart and put the computer/compass on your wrist. Could save some cash going with a dive watch, compass, SPG and upgrade some other components.

Obviously there are a lot of other extras including wetsuit, din-yoke adapters, etc. but just wanting to see what people can come up with for the main items.

If it were me, I would drop the BP/wing and regs buy quality used gear. I have never heard of a Scubamax which means they are not a well known brand. Not to say they are not good but service may be a problem when traveling or if your LDS goes out of business or stops carrying the brand. If your looking at the Scubatoys BP package at $319, that includes a 50lb lift wing, way too much lift for most diving, something in the 30-35lb class is a better choice. Finding a used BP or back inflate BC with a reasonable amount of lift will save you a good bit. A good set of used brand name regs with a console will cost a lot less than the $645 you have listed above, including service and you can get a higher preforming reg that is easier to have serviced. With the money you save you can buy a computer.

Those new brands Hollis and Edge/Hog make some great stuff for a bit cheaper prices, call mike at dive right in scuba and he will hook you up.

I would just skip the console, buy a wrist computer that can be used in gauge mode and that DSS makes a bungee mount for. The suunto ones, the duo, or something similer. I refuse to use anything with the Mares label on it so...

A scubapro mk2+ or MK17 would be the route I take with say an S600 or R190 second stage depending on price. Scuba store. Online Scuba gear and Scuba equipment shop. has great prices on scubapro regs, the only regs I like besides dive rite.

if your buying an octo than get one that is exactly the same as your other second stage so when you go to doubles you already have a second stage. I'm not a share air kinda person and dive solo so I would buy a 40 for a pony instead of using an octo, but thats me.

you can build a bp/w pretty cheap, get ahold of FredT on here or hammerhead for cheap plates (I'm partial to stainless), get a single tank adapter while your there, hit up dive rite express for a pair of scubapro style tank straps, and make a harness from parts at Scuba equipment, Dive gear, reefscuba.com, Manufacturer of scuba diving equipment. Buy brass hardware, stainless steel hardware, surgical tubing, latex surgical tubing, bungee cord, parachute cord, Waterborne watch bands, SEACURE mouthpieces, velcro then get a wing from Mike at dive right in scuba in illinois. shipping from all the places is what will screw you but you will likely get a better tailored setup than some off the shelf kit.

I am partial to the dive rite 1.5 inch pressure gauges so I would get one of those while your buying the tank straps and then you will get free shipping.

otherwise hit up deep sea supply for a high quality, slightly more expensive, option.

If you were buying an all new package (can include sale items) and wanted to keep your cost around 1k, what would specific items would your shopping list include? Should include the obvious: BC, Reg, Oct, Mask, Fin, Compass/Gauge/Computer. It would be best if it included an actual computer. Don't worry about shipping/tax and assume a basic single tank warm water package.

Curious to see if any bargains I don't know about pop up here. Here is my quick list, I threw together:

• Regulator - ScubaMax RG1008 - $220
  • Octo - ScubaMax XR2002 - $89
  • Fin - ScubaPro Jet - $65
  • Mask - Sherwood Mako - $27
  • BPW - ScubaToys Back Plate Wing Package - $319
  • Computer Console - Mares Mission Puck 3 - $335

Package comes in just over 1k. I splurged on the console and I know many prefer the wrist mount stuff, but hard to beat a good computer, compass, PG at that price. With a little DIY, you could easily hack the console apart and put the computer/compass on your wrist. Could save some cash going with a dive watch, compass, SPG and upgrade some other components.

Obviously there are a lot of other extras including wetsuit, din-yoke adapters, etc. but just wanting to see what people can come up with for the main items.
A lot of your decisions should be driven by what sort of diving you intend to do. If you're going to be doing a lot of vacation diving, then you may need a computer to track your residual nitrogen levels through multiple days of multiple dives. But if you're NOT planning that sort of scenario, then you don't need a computer - at least not initially. In contrast, for example, you won't be doing much diving without a wetsuit.

So lots of your decision comes down to personal preference, but like some of the others have noted, cover the bases you must cover first:

You need a SPG. You need a Bottom Timer. (If you must get a computer, consider a used one off eBay - you don't need the latest and greatest.) You need regs - that can be worked on locally. Don't buy some brand of regs that you need to mail off to have service done on them. (And if you buy regs online, standby to deal with pissed off local retailers when you take your regs in for service.) You'll need a wetsuit or you'll be renting one each time you go diving. And if you want a bp/w, consider going with one of Tobin's heavy plates, (and possibly weighted STA,) which offer considerable flexibility in terms of weightbelt issues. Get a wrist compass if you need to get a compass at all right now. You don't need a huge console to be holding out in front of you on this long HP hose to navigate, (if in fact you actually will be using a compass to navigate right off the bat anyway...ask your buddies how often they use their compasses.) It is not a matter of whether you'll ever need a compass, but whether you need one right now to the exclusion of some other piece of equipment/cost.

Good luck with assembling the package. It's an adventure in itself.....

:wink:

Dive safe,

Doc

Doc's got some good advice there (as usual).

If your looking at the Scubatoys BP package at $319, that includes a 50lb lift wing, way too much lift for most diving, something in the 30-35lb class is a better choice.

This is VERY true. A wing that is too big will be difficult to vent and won't swim well.

I found having a compass on a console was way beyond annoying, but having my depth and time on a console was even worse. I want to look at my depth and time frequently -- every minute or so, sometimes -- and pulling up a console to do it was a PITA.

For me this is more of an exercise and less a reality. I already have my list more or less and my budget is around 2k which opens up a lot of decisions for me, but I was curious what budget deals are out there that might make me change my mind on an item or two.

I have never heard of a Scubamax which means they are not a well known brand.
It is my understanding Scubamax is made by Ocean Divers Supply which produces a near exact version for other vendors such as DiveRite, Salvo, Oxychek, Sea Elite and ProMate. In some cases, I think they are the exact same reg rebranded.

that includes a 50lb lift wing, way too much lift for most diving, something in the 30-35lb class is a better choice.
Finding a wing that would fit under this budget price point severely limits choices as most better suited wings start at just over $200. You could do a Hammerhead for 80, harness for another 50 and then spring for a $250 wing but that would be near $100 more after the ScubaToys discount. Even used a BPW setup for around $300 doesn't pop every day.

A good set of used brand name regs with a console will cost a lot less than the $645 you have listed above
Quality name brand used regs don't generally go for much below $300 and those that do generally require a servicing. As for computers with the exception of the Veo 180 which is no longer manufactured not many computer/compass/SPG setups go for sub $300 that do multigas, dive logs, computer interface, backlit and are easy to use. You could do a Veo 180, Suunto Compass and simple SPG for around $300 which should be a definite consideration. Again I splurged here and would be the first place I cut if I wanted to bump something else up.

Those new brands Hollis and Edge/Hog make some great stuff for a bit cheaper prices, call mike at dive right in scuba and he will hook you up.
A certainly good alternative. His package lists for $399 which is a bit more but you could do worse. The $715 package which has the Edge reg/oct setup is a pretty decent deal for a budget buy.

Straegen,
I have often said that, in today's market, almost no one makes a bad regulator. I have read good reports about the DiveRite, and I suppose the others are equally good. But, I will be curious to see how many of the reg brands you name (even Ocean Divers itself) will still be viable after the current worldwide economic crisis finally turns around. I am fairly certain that companies like Scubapro, Aqualung, Oceanic, and a few others will still be in business, but many others will not.

Back
Top Bottom