Indonesia - Wakatobi Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ltlmi

Registered
Reaction score
The most breath-taking critters, creatures, corals & color can be found in these pristine waters.
Although my dive trip to Wakatobi was not without problems, all was generously rectified by their sales director, Henrik Rozen, when I received a brand new Aeries Elite wrist computer!
What a wonderful gesture of good will. It meant a lot to me.
mimi

Happy to oblige.
I am a physically disabled diver. I use a cane to walk. A big factor in my decision to join the group dive trip was predicated on the resort & their staff being willing and able to assist me on dives.
Although the travel agent assured me it would not be any problem, it turned out that something got "lost in translation".
The dive staff did not know in advance of my arrival that I required a dedicated dive master to stay with me in the water. There weren't enough dive guides available.
I was unhappy. The dive guides were unhappy. We all made the best of a bad situation. When i returned home, i contacted the sales director for the resort. You know the rest of the story. It has a happy ending.
The resort is clean and pleasantly appointed. I stayed in an ocean front bungalow with a private bathroom & shower. There was plenty of hot water. Ceiling & floor fans are available. I believe that a/c will soon be available in some of the rooms, which is a very good thing. During my stay (late November) it was uncomfortably hot.
The diviing was spectacular. Would i return? Yes, if there is a/c and a dedicated dive master to assist me.
please let me know if you have more questions.
mimi

Beware of Wakatobi - they have a nice website and extensive marketing but it is all hype.

1) The SCUBA tank air was bad quality and they don't have Nitrox, which requires much cleaner delivery systems.
2) There were only 4 dive areas, not much variety. Only one had great walls but you only got to do that once per day as it was a long 1+ hour boat ride out (only 2 boat dives per day).
3) They only permit 1 entrance point and 1 exit point on the House reef and with raging currents that is a 10 min dive.
4) There were only 4 dive masters for 30 people and Lorenz Maeder gave 2 Dr.s private dives meaning 11 of us were assigned to go with one divemaster in a cattle dive.
5) Photogrpahers came last. With 11 divers the DM insisted that photogs wait in line and only after all non-photog divers had seen the subjects were we permitted to photograph them.
6) LOTS of trash on the house reef. We were dissappointed at the number of fish traps that the local fisherman have on the Barracuda reef despite the website claims they have contracts with the local fisherman against such activity.
7) The website claims AC is not needed but they are within 5 degrees of the equator and we absolutely boiled.
8) Rats and mosquitos in the rooms - despite claims otherwise on their website. They have "bungalows" which are loosely made huts.
9) Every member of our group of 30 except 1 got diarrhea.

For $250/day, next time I'd do a liveaboard where you get a broader variety of diving, more DMs, and nicer accomodations.

I strongly disagree with RSdiver. That website does not look that good to me! US$250 or more per day????? Good Lord!! I'd rather be in Sipadan, Lembeh, Manado, Layang-Layang, etc. for a fraction of that.

Back
Top Bottom