Indonesia - help required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nickjb

Contributor
Reaction score
My friend is off to a business trip to Indonesia in a couple of weeks.

Anyone out there know where to get a days diving?

She will be staying Banjar (small place centre west of island), and Yogyakarta (big city in centre of island). Apparently Bali is at least a days travel each way so is out.

Cheers

As the crow flies, probably the closest diving to Yogyakarta would be in the Karimunjawa islands which are in the Java Sea north of Semarang (central Java). But it is not a day trip. One would need to spend at least a weekend there to make it worthwhile.

Never heard of Banjar, so can't hep there.

Most of the diving in Java is in West Java or the Pulau Seribu islands ("Thousand" Islands) north of Jakarta in the Java Sea. For Indonesia, these sites would probably best be described as fair. Day trips are doable from Jakarta.

Is your friend passing through Jakarta ? If so, they can pick up a copy of the local newspaper, Jakarta Post, which will likely carry ads for dive shops offering trips to either west Java or Pulau Seribu.
Hope this is helpful.
Miki.

Hi,

I'm Indonesian, and to be honest I've never heard of a town called Banjar. Do you know which island it is on? It is probably a small town on one of Indonesia's 13,000+ islands

There is, however, a town called Banjarmasin in Kalimantan (Borneo). It is about 3 hours flight from the Jakarta. The nearest diving destination would be the islands of Derawan (diver operator link is here), Kakaban, and Sangalaki (which has a jellyfish lake like the one in Palau). You will need to take a domestic flight either to Samarinda or Balikpapan and then some boat transfers. Not sure how long this will take....

As for Yogyakarta, Mikimaru is correct the nearest diving destination is the Karimunjawa islands off Java island. You will need to travel to Jepara (either by car or by plane) and then some boat transfers.

IMHO, it is not possible to do a day's diving unless you're in Jakarta (Thousand Islands), Bali (Nusa Penida), or Manado (Bunaken).

Sorry if I sound discouraging. I'd suggest you take a few days (3 days is enough) to visit Bali for some easy dives.

Good info Neve !

I just want to let you know that I discovered that there is a resort in the Karimunjawa islands that has their own aircraft and they can offer flights from Yogyakarta (as well as from other Indonesian cities) to Karimunjawa. They offer a two day/1 night dive package including flight from Yogyakarta which might fit nickjb's friend's needs if they can't do Bali. Check the fine print though and contact the resort for complete details. Their web-site is:

http://www.kurakuraresort.com

I hope this is helpful.

Banjar is actually a small city in West Java province. If you one day go from Jakarta or Bandung to Pangandaran, one of the popular beach in West Java, you will likely pass this small city. I also upload a small map of West Java, however this small city is not appeared there, as a rule of thumb, it is between Ciamis and Pangandaran (south coast). Notes: will upload the map in the next message.
However, talking about diving, I would suggest Kura Kura Resort as mentioned by Mikimaru as the best dive resorts in Java. The Indian Ocean barely diveable due to big swell and never heard any dive facilities around. The only place I heard diveable in West Java are Pulau Seribu (Thousand Islands) and Krakatau. If your friend happens to be in Jakarta just contact some well known dive shops such as:
  1. Ody Dive
  2. Aquapro
  3. Aquasport
  4. Blue Marlin
  5. Bubbles Divers
    [/list=1]

BTW, I don't have any relationship with the above dive shops, just grabbed their URL from the Internet.

Since this thread's last post was 55 months ago, i was kind of hoping there'll be more dive ops in Karimunjawa.

How many hours away is it from Jogjakarta?

Is there any diving at all in Parangtritis Beach? - it seems the closest body of water from where I'll be staying.

Thanks!

From yogyakarta to Semarang by car approx. 2 hours - can be longer on the week end. Then from Semarang you can use ferry or small plane http://www.kurakuraresort.com/gethere/
Kura-kura resort can arrange everything for you.
Or contact Marine Diving Club in Semarang - they regularly arrange budget dive trip to the island http://www.marinedivingclub.8m.com/

Parangtritis beach - no dive at all,
Not sure about pangandaran marine park now; I did snorkeling 2 years ago but the reef was heavily damaged.

Other possibility - HMAS Perth wreck at Bojonegoro.

whoa! that IS far... had to ask. thanks for the info, wisnu :thumbs-up

i guess i'll maximize my time in the temples, instead *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom