Incredible Story of Death and Surviving DCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian_J

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is the incredible true story of Erik Petkovic's (explorer, wreck and technical diver) brush with death and Decompression Illness. It's riveting and quite frankly, gave me chills. There are three parts; this is a link to Part II.

Erik asked to publish the story on our site (www.teamexplorationdivers.com) so that others would potentially be able to learn from his experiences. Part III will be published shortly.

Deep Survival: One Deep Wreck Diver’s Story of Death and Survival [Part Two] - Team Exploration Divers

An excerpt from Part II:

Rescue #3: 2004 - Eastern Basin Lake Erie - wreck of the John J. Boland Jr - Depth 140 ffw
I broke the surface and was on my back. Those on board who were watching my bubbles from the depths below saw my face - it was blue. I had been submerged in 34 degree water (1.11 degrees Celsius) for almost an hour. My body turned over and my face was once again in the water.

They didn't know whether I was dead or alive.
I was later told they were worried my regulator would fall out of my mouth when I turned over face first in the water. I was bloated and blue. They all thought I was dead. A couple of divers jumped overboard and hauled my lifeless body onto the boat.

Needless to say, I don't remember anything that happened once I broke the surface. The only thing I vividly recall, as if it happened a moment ago, was after I broke the surface I remember seeing a white light. The light was bright and warm. I remember everything fading to black with the exception of this bright white light in a tunnel. At the end of the tunnel there was a blurry figure. I remember the figure getting closer, but I couldn't make out who it was.

No explanation about how this happened, so a bit hard to understand what went wrong on the dive.

I’ve read it before, somewhere. Something about getting entangled or stuck in the mud and completely blowing the dive plan if its the story I think it is.

The section in Part I about him diving 'just a few days' after neck surgery and trimming the stiches with a dive knife and shears was interesting. If it was indeed just a few days, he put himself at high risk of infection.

I also read with interest the part about the physician performing bilateral myringotomies without his consent while an orderly held his head still. This would be unusual in modern Western medicine.

The part about the adverse effects of hyperbaric oxygen on irradiated tissue and after chemo also bears examination. Theoretically, there's an increased risk of pulmonary fibrosis with HBO2 therapy in patients who have received bleomycin; however, some researchers in our group published a case series a few years ago that suggests that this risk may be 'overstated': Safe administration of hyperbaric oxygen after bleomycin: a case series of 15 patients. - PubMed - NCBI

If he was suffering from acute pulmonary inflammation as a result of the radiation, he would have been at risk of acute respiratory distress syndrome had he been exposed to hyperbaric oxygen. ARDS carries a relatively high mortality rate. That must have been an agonizing decision for him to make.

Best regards,
DDM

....trimming the stiches with a dive knife and shears was interesting. If it was indeed just a few days, he put himself at high risk of infection.

I also read with interest the part about the physician performing bilateral myringotomies without his consent while an orderly held his head still. This would be unusual in modern Western medicine.

Best regards,
DDM

Duke,
your penchant for medical accuracy removes the poetry in the storytelling :D

Cheers!

Duke,
your penchant for medical accuracy removes the poetry in the storytelling :D

Cheers!

Hi Fabio, sorry, it just slips out sometimes :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom